Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
When I use the small DPD powder spoon (with reagent R-0870) it tends to clump on the tiny spoon. I can't imagine that this allows one to get a very accurate amount of the powder into your tube. Won't this affect the accuracy of your FC measurement?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Wouldn't it be better to have one double sized spoon rather than taking two spoonfuls each of which will be reduced due to the clumping as wouldn't the clumping be related to the surface area of the spoon which will be bigger in relation to the volume of powder in a small spoon rather than a bigger spoon.

The amount does not matter. You can not use too much, but too little can cause problems. I never get clumping, is your spoon getting wet?

Btw, one scoop should be plenty at normal FC levels and 10ml sample.

I think it's probably normal. It happens to me too. When it seems bad, I just clean it out with the corner of a napkin. I read that one poster uses the spoon to stir the solution after putting the powder in the tube.

My spoon doesn't get wet, but humidity is high here. Maybe that's the reason.

I don't intentionally wet it but it may pick up some moisture from humidity. My spoon has also turned partially black.

Maybe that's a difference between AZ with low humidity and the NE/Southern Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, one scoop should be plenty at normal FC levels and 10ml sample.
Good to know as I always follow the Taylor kit directions that mention two scoops - it doesn't differentiate between 10mL and 25mL samples. That is good to know to preserve my reagents.

My spoon clumps with powder too but I'm used to after all these years and I scoop, dump and stir and throw it back in the box where it lives til the next time. :mrgreen:

I just shove the clumpy end back into the powder over and over until the clumps fall off. Its been humid and the powder started clumping too. This breaks up the clumps in the powder container too.

Yep, I've noticed it too. It's irritating, but I've gotten used to taking a little piece of paper towel and wiping it off/out. On the Taylor kit, the DPD powder container has a slot in the lid that the scoop fits in to store it, and where the scoop contacts the container label it's turned that black too!

The stuff seems pretty reactive, so it's probably good to mind your chemical hygiene and keep it off your skin whenever possible.

I don't intentionally wet it but it may pick up some moisture from humidity. My spoon has also turned partially black.

Maybe that's a difference between AZ with low humidity and the NE/Southern Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know as I always follow the Taylor kit directions that mention two scoops - it doesn't differentiate between 10mL and 25mL samples. That is good to know to preserve my reagents.
I tried the 1 scoop I get a bad test results than with 2 scoops...maybe my 1 scoop wasn't enough even though it turned red...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.