Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clumping on the R-0870 powder spoon

1. Back To Top    #1

Clumping on the R-0870 powder spoon

When I use the small DPD powder spoon (with reagent R-0870) it tends to clump on the tiny spoon. I can't imagine that this allows one to get a very accurate amount of the powder into your tube. Won't this affect the accuracy of your FC measurement?

Am I the only one with this problem?

Wouldn't it be better to have one double sized spoon rather than taking two spoonfuls each of which will be reduced due to the clumping as wouldn't the clumping be related to the surface area of the spoon which will be bigger in relation to the volume of powder in a small spoon rather than a bigger spoon.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clumping on the R-0870 powder spoon

The amount does not matter. You can not use too much, but too little can cause problems. I never get clumping, is your spoon getting wet?

Btw, one scoop should be plenty at normal FC levels and 10ml sample.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Chrisman, Illinois (East Central Illinois)

I think it's probably normal. It happens to me too. When it seems bad, I just clean it out with the corner of a napkin. I read that one poster uses the spoon to stir the solution after putting the powder in the tube.

My spoon doesn't get wet, but humidity is high here. Maybe that's the reason.
    27' round Seaspray Evolution, AG, 17,100 gallons, Pump: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix Dual Speed 1.5 hp, Filter: Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter, June 18, 2014, Kreepy Krauley Lil Shark, TF-100 test kit, Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't intentionally wet it but it may pick up some moisture from humidity. My spoon has also turned partially black.

Maybe that's a difference between AZ with low humidity and the NE/Southern Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Btw, one scoop should be plenty at normal FC levels and 10ml sample.
    Good to know as I always follow the Taylor kit directions that mention two scoops - it doesn't differentiate between 10mL and 25mL samples. That is good to know to preserve my reagents.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, it happens to me too. I just rinse the spoon in the solution in the tube once in a while & let it dry upside down on a paper towel. That way I'm sure I'm always getting enough powder
    Joanne 18' X 36' rectangular 26,700 gal. IG, vinyl, sand filter (300 lbs of sand) replaced last season, Hayward 1 hp pump & Hayward booster pump 3/4 hp, SWG: AquaRite Electronic Chlorine generator with TurboCell CLX-5 (replace 2 yrs. ago), approx. 7 yrs old, Polaris pool cleaner (old, on it's last leg! make that dead!!) TF-100 Test kit w/XL, Pool School!! And LOTS of it!!

6. Back To Top    #6

My spoon clumps with powder too but I'm used to after all these years and I scoop, dump and stir and throw it back in the box where it lives til the next time.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I just shove the clumpy end back into the powder over and over until the clumps fall off. Its been humid and the powder started clumping too. This breaks up the clumps in the powder container too.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, I've noticed it too. It's irritating, but I've gotten used to taking a little piece of paper towel and wiping it off/out. On the Taylor kit, the DPD powder container has a slot in the lid that the scoop fits in to store it, and where the scoop contacts the container label it's turned that black too!

The stuff seems pretty reactive, so it's probably good to mind your chemical hygiene and keep it off your skin whenever possible.
    15,000 gallon 16x30 IG w/vinyl liner built in 2006, Hayward cartridge filter, Hayward 1HP Single Speed pump, Taylor K2006.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    I don't intentionally wet it but it may pick up some moisture from humidity. My spoon has also turned partially black.

Maybe that's a difference between AZ with low humidity and the NE/Southern Canada.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to know as I always follow the Taylor kit directions that mention two scoops - it doesn't differentiate between 10mL and 25mL samples. That is good to know to preserve my reagents.
    I tried the 1 scoop I get a bad test results than with 2 scoops...maybe my 1 scoop wasn't enough even though it turned red...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

10. Back To Top    #10

The powder is full of little white boulders down toward the bottom of the container.
    I usually have to throw out the last 1/4 of it.
    10,000 gal / Plaster / Cartridge Filter / 1 1/2 HP pump motor/ TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

The little white boulders can be crushed up. That's what I do with them. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Just rinse it every time, no problems.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

Yup, if it gets clumpy, just crush it back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

14. Back To Top    #14

does it matter that the powder becomes clumpy as far as it efficacy is concerned?

would some type of desiccant help or even be necessary?
    20K gal, IG vinyl, 1 1/2 HP Hayward Super Pump , 100lb sand, installed 2000 - new liner/filter/pump March 2014
    TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Does not matter. Just crush it back up.
    Jason, TFP Moderator