Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I did the 20 Mule Team after I found TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

I did the 20 Mule Team after I found TFP

HI all! I did the 20 Mule Team after I found TFP trying to clean up my green monster this spring, and I've been very impressed and happy with the results so far! THANK YOU to everyone that makes this place a success!

We had an OOOP'S moment last night, walked out the back door to hear splashing noises by the pool! After grabbing a light I found it had blown the return line off a fitting and pumped about 1000gal out on the lawn before I found it. Easy enough fix and refill, now I'm re-balancing the water chemistry after what's effectively a 40% water change. I'd just added 40oz of bleach to start a SLAM 2 hours earlier. Put another 30oz in before I left for work this morning to make sure it was covered today.

Came home and got the following results on the full test battery: FC 10, CC .5, PH 7.9, TA 90, CH 275, CYA 15, Borates 30, Temp 70 deg. Added 8oz of PHminus to bring the PH down to 7.5, and 9oz of Stabilizer to bring the CYA back to 40.

My question is it looks like I need to add 1 box of 20 Mule Team to bring the Borate level back up (Pool Calc calls for 59oz Borax and 30oz MA). Is my calculation right that for a full 76oz box of 20 Mule Team I need 38oz of MA? I thought I'd seen that calculation stated somewhere but can't find it tonight.

TIA,

Will Marsh
    Intex 12'x39" AG Walmart special, 2500g installed 2010, tw skimmer added 2012
    1500gph cartridge filter pump upgrade and homebuilt 110V heater added 2014
    Located at 5050' elevation in Loveland, CO

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

A full 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team Borax needs 36-1/2 fluid ounces of Muriatic Acid (31.45% hydrochloric acid) so you've got that right.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

Thanks, CG. That's what I wanted to confirm since it's always better to measure twice before you cut.
    Intex 12'x39" AG Walmart special, 2500g installed 2010, tw skimmer added 2012
    1500gph cartridge filter pump upgrade and homebuilt 110V heater added 2014
    Located at 5050' elevation in Loveland, CO