Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy says 1-3 PPM of FC?

1. Back To Top    #1

Toronto, ON

Jandy says 1-3 PPM of FC?

I am replacing my Jandy (aka Zodiac) salt cell. In the manual it recommends the following, in accordance with APSP standards:

FC 1.0-3.0 ppm (Continuous exposure to levels above 3.0 ppm may cause corrosion of pool metals)
    CYA 50-75 ppm
    pH 7.4-7.6
    TA 80-120 ppm
    CH 175-409 ppm

But the reference pages here at TFP seem to have 3.0 ppm of FC as the minimum. But Jandy is saying that is dangerous. What gives?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Jandy says 1-3 PPM of FC?

The Jandy people do not understand the FC/CYA relationship and are just parroting very old and inaccurate standards.
    The FC of 1-3 is pretty accurate if you had 0 CYA in the water, but the fact they suggest a CYA range indicates they do not "get it".

Follow the TFP recommendations if you want to maintain a clear pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Coast

Re: Jandy says 1-3 PPM of FC?

If you do not maintain the proper chlorine level for your CYA level, you will end up using even more chlorine every time algae blooms.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer