Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie here doing the Ascorbic Acid Treatment

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Newbie here doing the Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Hello all,

My pool is in San Diego, CA. I did the treatment (1-1/2 lbs) late yesterday and let the pump run. I have an inground 20,000 gallon pool. This morning the water was cloudy white but it seemed to lighten the stains, but not sure. I came home and my pool is now light green.

I did my testing which I did start at 0 Clorine

My test shows now:

0 ppm chlorine
    8.2 ppm ph
    160 ppm alkalinity

Per instructions on my test kit, about 2.5 gallons of Muratic Acid should bring these down to the recommended range.

My question is:

Do I still need to let the pump run for another 6 days without adding muratic and chlorine to balance my pool, or can I begin balancing today?

Leo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie here doing the Ascorbic Acid Treatment

Welcome to TFP!

Bring the PH down to around 7.0 to 7.2. It is best to do that in two or three steps so you don't accidentally go way below your target level.

Did you add algaecide? Using some algaecide is important in keeping algae at bay while you are at zero chlorine. We recommend algaecides based on polyquat, our abbreviation for a very very long chemical name. Generally algaecides with a 60 in their name are polyquat based.

After the stain is lifted, the next step is to add sequestrant. Have you done that?

Then 24 hours after sequestrant is added you can start raising the FC level up from zero.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the warm welcome. Is sequestrant, the metal free stuff. If so, I just did that. I also just bought some Algaecide but couldn't find the 60 stuff. I got some all clear which had that same ingredient as the polyquat. This one is 40% though, then 60% inert ingredients.

I hope I am on the right track as it does seem as if my water is getting lighter green. I'll report back again tomorrow morning.

4. Back To Top    #4

Stains are a lot lighter. I just wish I bought more ascorbic acid but I got it online and I don't know of anyone here in San Diego who sells it. The algecide seems to be keeping the algae in check. I got the pool filter still circulating. Water is a little cloudy.

I ordered more ascorbic but it wont be here till Monday. I think the 24 hours of 220v pump running is going to kill us in power fees. I am starting to wonder if I should just stop and add the chlorine or put the filter back on 2 hour per day cycles and just algecide to keep it under control and then add the ascorbic when I get it next week.

Any suggestions?

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, since no replies. I decided to get my water readings back to normal.

Here are my readings:

Cl 5
    Alk 110
    Ph 7.2

Water is cloudy white. I am assuming this will clear itself up in a few days. Can't see the deep end clearly, so can't report on the stains. Shallow end looks real good.

Is it safe to swim in it?

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to be able to see the bottom of the pool so if anyone is drowning you will know.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"