Unexplained CYA drop ?

Hi,

I had a long weekend away from home where my FC dropped to zero and the pool got cloudy. Prior to the algae cloudiness I had measured 35ppm CYA and was losing ~3ppm FC/per day (last season at 80CYA I was only losing 1ppm CYA/day). I had mostly returned the pool to clarity (pool was almost crystal last night, shocked +8ppm, and it was 4ppm in the morning so I guess I need to increase the frequency of my shocks so it's more like the SLAM process). But anyway, a few days ago during my shocking process I measured <20ppm CYA. I can't explain how the concentration dropped so much. Would a 3 or 4 day algae outbreak cause a CYA consumption like http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/8498-Degradation-of-Cyanuric-Acid-(CYA) (this happened to me over the winter, but that was a winter's worth of green slime, not blue cloudy water). I had some heavy rains but based on some calculations only enough to drop the CYA a few ppm.

My CYA reagant is about 1 year old, and I keep in a cool inside place, so I think that is ok. I suppose I could buy the standard for CYA, but avoiding money spent on my pool is always a plus :)

Basically all I want to know is if you think I should be adding more CYA to the pool or not. I don't want to overdo it on CYA and then have to drain the pool.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. Algae does not consume CYA....actually has no affect on it. Algae consumes chlorine but not CYA.

I would not add any more CYA. I think your first, most economical step, might be to report a complete set of test results and see if we can help figure out what's gone awry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.