New pool, first test results with TF 100

You should be testing before you add anything. Best practice is to run the pump for at least 30 min before testing.

After adding anything to your water, you need to leave the pump running for at least an hour.

Daily testing is needed, at least until you get to know your pool's habits.

On the TA test do I want to get it when it first turns reddish, or when it hits bright pink? The numbers have a 20 point spread is why I ask......

- - - Updated - - -

After adding the recommended chemicals, and letting pump run for 4 hours here is what I tested at tonight.

pH - 6.8
FC - 11.5
CC - 0
CH - 150
TA - 60
CYA - 80

Sorry about this, but you have another reading assignment.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/10845-Water-Testing-Instructions-on-One-Page

From that reading assignment --

Total Alkalinity Test
1) Rinse and fill sample tube to 25ml mark.
2) Add 2 drops R-0007; swirl to mix.
3) Add 5 drops R-0008; swirl to mix. Solution should turn green or blue.
4) Add R-0009 one drop at a time, swirling continuously, 1-2 sec between drops. Repeat until color changes, and stops changing.
5) The last drop that caused a change is the drop count. Multiply #drops by 10 to get TA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After adding the above and letting filter run for a few hours, here is where I am at

pH - 7.2
FC - 8.5
CC - 1
CH - 175
TA - 150
CYA - 40
Looks like you might have overshot a little on the baking soda, but the higher TA should push the pH up soon enough, so it's not all bad. :goodjob:

The 1 CC could be worrisome. If you had a bunch of kids in the pool, dragging who knows what toys in and leaving behind who knows how much sweat and snot and worse, it may be nothing. But if it's still there tomorrow, hammer it with bleach!

Pool math says add all that soda ash..... Should I wait?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, now that I am semi stable, when I test with the small kit that came with the tf1000 to check pH, how do I know if I need to add bleach?

I would love to get to the port where I am testing less often than every night. :)

Pool math says add all that soda ash..... Should I wait?
pH will rise with aeration. No chemicals needed. You're in range. Enjoy it. When it rises to 7.8, lower it with acid.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, now that I am semi stable, when I test with the small kit that came with the tf1000 to check pH, how do I know if I need to add bleach?

I would love to get to the port where I am testing less often than every night. :)
If your CYA is 40, your minimum is 3 and you should target 5 or so. Instead of counting drops, you stare at the vial just like the pH test and decide if you're closer to 3 than to 5 and dose accordingly. I would suggest you do both FC tests and compare. Use the FAS-DPD test to dose, and the color match test to see how good you are at guessing colors.

In a couple days, you'll know your pool's appetite and what the readings will be and what the color will look like and it will become very routine. Just give yourself time!

Really appreciate all your help!

What kind of acid should I buy to have on hand?

I'll keep some bleach, soda ash, and baking soda in Stock now that I know those are the key ingredients to use.

Next up is the salt test kit, Want this to feel more like our friends salt pools. Is that possible, or am I chasing a unicorn?

Really appreciate all your help!

What kind of acid should I buy to have on hand?

I'll keep some bleach, soda ash, and baking soda in Stock now that I know those are the key ingredients to use.

Next up is the salt test kit, Want this to feel more like our friends salt pools. Is that possible, or am I chasing a unicorn?
Muriatic Acid is the best to use. Just check that you aren't paying for a whole bunch of water with the half-strength-but-full-priced "fumeless" stuff. The usual is 20 baume/ 31.45%. More info: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

If you want to add salt for feel, use the search function for how-to. If you go that route, and you have kids, hold Diamond Day. Post 5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.