Differences between FC/CC test and K-1000

May 30, 2011
Orlando, Fl
I have used the Quick tester of the k-1000 and i get between .5 and 1 on the test but when i use the FC test in my main kit with the Powder, I get 11.5 on my FC and .5 on my CC.

Why do i get the conflicting test measurements? And why are the so vastly different?

Which one can i trust. The other day when the FC was O and the test said 0 the were in unison.

Is the color matching test (the non FAS-DPD test) you are doing yellow or pink?

The FAS-DPD is the one to trust, but I am potentially puzzled by what you said if it is truly the K-1000 with the yellow OTO chlorine test.

Im sorry, im using the Taylor TF-100 Using the R-870 Powder.

I drop R-871 in there 23 times to turn it from pink to clear... then I use R-003 then R-871 to find the CC.

My question is why does the Quick tester that comes in the Blue kit (K-1000) with Chlorine on one side and PH on the other show .5-1 CL BR and the FAS-DPD test show 11.5?

I was asking about the yellow OTO test.
If the FC were 11.5ppm, then the OTO would be a dark yellow. So, I have no explanation for what you observed.

The OTO is pretty bulletproof as far as telling you whether chlorine is present in the pool. But at the same time, the FAS-DPD is the most accurate ... one or the other tests must not be correct.

Im following the directions inside the lid on the FC/CC test. Could my Test Kit be bad its about 2 years old, but its only been stored inside.

The color matching that i was doing is lightly yellow matching the .5 - 1 colors on one side and the PH is 7.8

2 years is pushing it, although I have had some of my reagents longer without issue.

How pink is the water when you do the FAS-DPD test? Have you repeatedly gotten much higher results from the FAS-DPD than the OTO?

The water was a pink as the first time like cherry Koolaid.

Yesterday i Got 0 on my FAS and 0 on the OTO... Chlorinated with a couple bags of shock and bleach since yesterday and now the OTO says .5-1 and the FAS says 11.5.

on the 19th my CL was around 5-10 and when i did FAS it read 7ppm. SO that's why i was wondering why so different.

Yes filled to 10ml

I'm reading the Extended Test Kit Directions and it Says for the
OTO Chlorine Test
TC - Total Chlorine
Use R-0600 and i think i was using R-0003 Accidently... Time for a retest!

They both had yellow tops and i think i got the switched around

Don't waste your time with 2 year old R-0600 reagent. It is somewhat light and heat sensitive and you have your money's worth.

Save time and money and get a new bottle. I think you'll find the values will come closer together but that negates nothing stated in the posts above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.