Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cost to core drill and install wall returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Cost to core drill and install wall returns

Has anyone had to do this? My pool was built with only floor returns, so the circulation is terrible (okay, nonexistent). I have a couple of areas where I can easily access the backside of the shell and have plumbing close by. I'd like to add 3-4 wall returns. It's a free-form pool with lots of ins and outs, so I think it would take that many to really get the water moving and into the skimmer (which was put on the wrong end of the pool if you ask me). I know that costs vary quite a bit by region, but I'm just curious. More than likely I'll end up doing this when I replaster-- hopefully that will be next year if I can save up some money.

Thanks!
    20K gallon in-ground free form gunite pool with moss rock waterfall and GREEN plaster! Built circa 1984. Pentair 1hp Whisperflo pump, Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter (both new in 2011), Barracuda G3 pool cleaner and Interfab X-Stream slide.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cost to core drill and install wall returns

Your best option would be to get several bids from local PB's for the replaster, with the return install included.

If you are handy at things like this, you could rent a hammer drill and coring bit to do it yourself just before your replaster.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I paid $600 to have an auto-fill added ... I would think the work/cost would be similar for a return jet. Also greatly depends on the access to the plumbing loop.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It sounds like you are considering 6-8 or so total returns but only one skimmer, is that correct?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry if I wasn't clear. If I were to do this, I would be eliminating the floor returns. I'd like to add another skimmer as well, but the question of the returns is more about taking advantage of the opportunity while I have access to do so (there is an area with no decking that I'd like to finish off). Soooo... I'd be looking at probably 4 returns and one skimmer.
    20K gallon in-ground free form gunite pool with moss rock waterfall and GREEN plaster! Built circa 1984. Pentair 1hp Whisperflo pump, Clean & Clear Plus 420 cartridge filter (both new in 2011), Barracuda G3 pool cleaner and Interfab X-Stream slide.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Have you made sure your flow rate (turnover rate) is correct? I've never had a problem with circulation with in floor return. Sounds like a lot to go through if you only need to resize a pump or filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Check your flow rate and filter capacity. Might be easier to switch out a pump or filter than change to wall returns.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by LeimLife View Post
    Have you made sure your flow rate (turnover rate) is correct? I've never had a problem with circulation with in floor return. Sounds like a lot to go through if you only need to resize a pump or filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeimLife View Post
    Check your flow rate and filter capacity. Might be easier to switch out a pump or filter than change to wall returns.
    LeimLife, turnover has been proven as a meaningless parameter and we generally recommend the smallest pumps (which meet minimum flow rates for features) and largest filters. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...-pump-run-time
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!