Is this rust/orange looking build up normal after only a week?

Jul 13, 2014
Fresno, California
2dlkgf9.jpg

I have only had my SWG and pool hooked up for about a week now. I am a first time pool owner still learning and have already made some mistakes, like adding Borax alone to adjust my pH when I should have added it in combination with acid as well. I did not notice it until today but is this normal after only one week? I hope the Borax didn't cause it do you guys think its just hard water like it states in the manual and some white vinegar would clear it right up (if so roughly how much vinegar should I pour in)?

Did you turn off your SWG when you added the chemicals? Pool math is a great tool, use it to your advantage. If you could put your pool particulars in your signature line it would help us help you. Make sure in the future that when you add ANY chemicals you should turn off your SWG for at least half an hour to let the chemicals mix in with your pool water.

At this time, I would take the SWG out and clean it. Make sure you don't use anything to scrape the inside of the SWG as it may damage the cell. I've never used vinegar, but I think a 4:1 ratio of vinegar would be fine. I do know muriatic acid would take a 4:1 ratio, water being the 4. Some people use a 6:1 ratio with MA. I think it all depends on how "dirty" the cell is. When using MA, don't let it sit in the cell for more than 20 minutes or so.

I have had my SWG for about 5 years and I do not think this is normal.

Try cleaning with diluted muriatic acid according to the manual you got with the SWG.

Did you turn off your SWG when you added the chemicals? Pool math is a great tool, use it to your advantage. If you could put your pool particulars in your signature line it would help us help you. Make sure in the future that when you add ANY chemicals you should turn off your SWG for at least half an hour to let the chemicals mix in with your pool water.

At this time, I would take the SWG out and clean it. Make sure you don't use anything to scrape the inside of the SWG as it may damage the cell. I've never used vinegar, but I think a 4:1 ratio of vinegar would be fine. I do know muriatic acid would take a 4:1 ratio, water being the 4. Some people use a 6:1 ratio with MA. I think it all depends on how "dirty" the cell is. When using MA, don't let it sit in the cell for more than 20 minutes or so.
I wish I had seen these replies earlier but I didn't want it to sit too long the way it looked so I just soaked it in vinegar per the manuals instructions. It isn't as orange looking now and looks more like a dark copper penny. I plan to take my pool down when summers over so before I pack it away I'll go the Muriatic Acid route and give it a good clean before storing.

Btw when you say to turn off the SWG when adding chemicals it's ok that the regular pump is running right since that's whats usually required? You mean just have the SWG switched to "off" but it's fine if the pump is running water through it as they're connected? I don't think I had the SWG off when I added the bleach and Borax it looks like I stained it or did something for it to change color. Hopefully it isn't damaged it hasn't gave me any errors so far.

Please add your pool specs to your signature and the city to your profile so we do not have to guess what equipment and pool you have in your mystery city of California.

What we need to know to answer your questions
Done. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.