Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this rust/orange looking build up normal after only a week?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this rust/orange looking build up normal after only a week?

I have only had my SWG and pool hooked up for about a week now. I am a first time pool owner still learning and have already made some mistakes, like adding Borax alone to adjust my pH when I should have added it in combination with acid as well. I did not notice it until today but is this normal after only one week? I hope the Borax didn't cause it do you guys think its just hard water like it states in the manual and some white vinegar would clear it right up (if so roughly how much vinegar should I pour in)?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this rust/orange looking build up normal after only a week?

I have had my SWG for about 5 years and I do not think this is normal.

Try cleaning with diluted muriatic acid according to the manual you got with the SWG.
    Jim

Southern Frederick County, MD - Leisure Moroccan 38 Fiberglass Pool - 19,800 gallons
    Pentair 1.5 hp 2 speed pump - Cartridge filter - Dolphin robot - TF-100 Test Kit - SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

Did you turn off your SWG when you added the chemicals? Pool math is a great tool, use it to your advantage. If you could put your pool particulars in your signature line it would help us help you. Make sure in the future that when you add ANY chemicals you should turn off your SWG for at least half an hour to let the chemicals mix in with your pool water.

At this time, I would take the SWG out and clean it. Make sure you don't use anything to scrape the inside of the SWG as it may damage the cell. I've never used vinegar, but I think a 4:1 ratio of vinegar would be fine. I do know muriatic acid would take a 4:1 ratio, water being the 4. Some people use a 6:1 ratio with MA. I think it all depends on how "dirty" the cell is. When using MA, don't let it sit in the cell for more than 20 minutes or so.
    IG Pebbletec Blue Tahoe; Paddock Pool PCC 2000 pop-up; 22,275 gal 32' x 16' Diving with Auto-Fill
    Pentair 420 Cartridge filter; 3 hp VS Whisperflo Main Drain, 1 1/2 hp Whisperflo Running Pop-Ups; Jandy AquaPure 1400
    1 1/2 Whisperflo dedicated to Rock Waterfall; TF-100; Taylor K-1766; Pool Built in 1997

4. Back To Top    #4

Please add your pool specs to your signature and the city to your profile so we do not have to guess what equipment and pool you have in your mystery city of California.

What we need to know to answer your questions
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Winger 03 View Post
    I have had my SWG for about 5 years and I do not think this is normal.

Try cleaning with diluted muriatic acid according to the manual you got with the SWG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xexys View Post
    Did you turn off your SWG when you added the chemicals? Pool math is a great tool, use it to your advantage. If you could put your pool particulars in your signature line it would help us help you. Make sure in the future that when you add ANY chemicals you should turn off your SWG for at least half an hour to let the chemicals mix in with your pool water.

At this time, I would take the SWG out and clean it. Make sure you don't use anything to scrape the inside of the SWG as it may damage the cell. I've never used vinegar, but I think a 4:1 ratio of vinegar would be fine. I do know muriatic acid would take a 4:1 ratio, water being the 4. Some people use a 6:1 ratio with MA. I think it all depends on how "dirty" the cell is. When using MA, don't let it sit in the cell for more than 20 minutes or so.
    I wish I had seen these replies earlier but I didn't want it to sit too long the way it looked so I just soaked it in vinegar per the manuals instructions. It isn't as orange looking now and looks more like a dark copper penny. I plan to take my pool down when summers over so before I pack it away I'll go the Muriatic Acid route and give it a good clean before storing.

Btw when you say to turn off the SWG when adding chemicals it's ok that the regular pump is running right since that's whats usually required? You mean just have the SWG switched to "off" but it's fine if the pump is running water through it as they're connected? I don't think I had the SWG off when I added the bleach and Borax it looks like I stained it or did something for it to change color. Hopefully it isn't damaged it hasn't gave me any errors so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Please add your pool specs to your signature and the city to your profile so we do not have to guess what equipment and pool you have in your mystery city of California.

What we need to know to answer your questions
    Done.
    Intex 15x48 AGP
    Krystal Clear pump 637R
    Krystal Clear SWCG CS8110 EG
    TF-50 on its way

6. Back To Top    #6

You should be either adding muriatic acid OR Borax to adjust pH. Acid to lower it and Borax to raise it.
    16K IG vinyl liner - 2.5 HP Hayward Pump - Hayward Sand Filter - CircuPool Si 30 SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

I haven't seen this SWG before. I'm curious to learn about it. Why are there two electrical connections?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    I haven't seen this SWG before. I'm curious to learn about it. Why are there two electrical connections?
    I am not sure according to the manual the smaller one is a flow sensor and the bigger is the copper electrode, the latter being the one that changed color on me it's made by Intex.
    Intex 15x48 AGP
    Krystal Clear pump 637R
    Krystal Clear SWCG CS8110 EG
    TF-50 on its way

9. Back To Top    #9

You can unplug the copper electrodes. There is no need for it in a properly chlorinated pool, and over time will do more harm than good.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit