Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my gauge right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my gauge right?

Pool was filled yesterday and I am trying to learn equipment.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my gauge right?

Nope. Pool pumps will not generate that much pressure. Time for a new one. I highly recommend the glycerin filled ones that Dave is selling at tftestkits.net
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

If that gauge is right, you narrowly missed being killed by shrapnel when the filter body exploded.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone! New one ordered from this site this morning.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissykr View Post
    Thanks everyone! New one ordered from this site this morning.
    Good because that one is sideways

Seriously though that is a good move .... after buying a couple cheapies i saw a thread about the good ones from this site and ordered one and it is far better built!
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

My guage arrived today! Wonderful service I just ordered on Friday.

Question...it has a big air pocket inside the guage is this normal?

7. Back To Top    #7

That's how mine looks.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

Thnx, waves I just moved here five weeks ago from Bolingbrook.

9. Back To Top    #9

Do not cut the rubber tip off, like it says. Although I think you want to pull the plug to allow the pressure to equalize and then put the plug back in.

Many I see online have the big bubble. Mine is actually very full ... pretty sure it does not matter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

10. Back To Top    #10

I pulled the plug out and put it back in. Thnx

11. Back To Top    #11

I cut the tip as instructed. is there something bad about that?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

If the glycerin is not leaking out, then should be fine. I am not sure why there is this confusion over the tip. The manufacturer said not to cut it and yet there is a note to do so somewhere.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

There was a small instruction sheet inside the box that showed to cut it. It's been so long ago-- no problem that I can tell. I would never have cut it without that instruction. Love the gauge!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

14. Back To Top    #14

How do I know if my new guage is bad? It worked for the couple of weeks. I backwashed last Tuesday and the pressure went up one psi a few days after the backwash. A week later the pressure dropped back to the orginal pressure.

15. Back To Top    #15

I doubt it would go bad this quickly. I would be more suspect of actual small variances in the flow rate and pressure due to outside factors.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, anything I should be watching for? Everything looks and sounds right.

I can see the pressure not rising much over a week but the dropped worried me. I keep my pool sparkling and even my skimmer sock doesn't get much in it day to day.

17. Back To Top    #17

The drop could happen from some debris collecting in your skimmer or pump basket.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

I had my filter deep cleaned yesterday and the guys were totally impressed with my gauge! They could not believe I paid less than $15.00 for it. They said that thing would would last through a bomb going off. This is the second time I have had the pool company comment on my guage. Thanks to TF test kits for offering such wonderful products at fair prices!