help opening a 4600 gal pool without testing

Jul 24, 2014
Anton, TX
We have just finished cleaning and draining our 4600 gallon above ground pool. It is almost full now. We have no way to get a test kit for another week. We have plenty of baking soda, bleach and borax on hand. Would someone please tell me how much to add of each. Thank you

Welcome to TFP!

Without test results, there is no way to know, and your pool will be green before the week is up without chlorine.

You need to add about 1.5lbs of CYA (also called stabilizer) to protect your chlorine from the sun. Add it by putting it in an old sock in the flow of the return. Until you do that, I'd add a quart of bleach morning and evening to maintain chlorine in the pool. Once you have the stabilizer and it is all dissolved, you can just add the quart of bleach once a day until you get your test kit.

That might get you by, but it's all guess work without a test kit.

Be sure to get that test kit ordered. I got the TF-100 XL with the speedstir. It is awesome.

Trying to run a pool without a test kit is like driving through a parking lot with your eyes closed. There is a chance you will get where you want to go BUT it is not a very big chance. Keep reading POOL School and be ready to have the nicest pool on the block!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.