Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing repair question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing repair question

Hey guys,

I need to plumb in a bypass to temporarily replace the IC40 that is in my system due to one of the couplings breaking on Tuesday. The one thing I am curious about is do I need any special kind of pvc primer/solvent for the pvc pipe? long will I need to let it dry before I can turn on the pump? Our temps are in the upper 90s here and I am concerned about the water sitting stagnant for too long.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Plumbing repair question

If it is all PVC, then just use purple primer and PVC solvent. If some of it is CPVC, then you would need a universal solvent.

Are you cutting out the IC40 unions all together? I though most of these were proprietary threads.

I went 2 weeks in the AZ summer without a pump with no algae. Just maintain adequate FC and brush the pool to keep it mixed.

- - - Updated - - -

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Plumbing repair question

I tried do the same and create a bypass for the IC40 but was defeated by the proprietary threads. I ended up buying the pricey Pentair 520588 Dummy Bypass Cell.
    Arizona. 22K Gal, IG, rectangular, plaster. SWCG IntelliChlor IC40. Pentair WhisperFlo 1.5 HP 2 speed
    Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filters. in-floor. Pool completed April, 2008. K-2006.