Better way to capture backflushed DE before it hits the main drain?

Killer95Stang

Aug 17, 2012
Sunny SoCal
So.. my city allows me and requires that I send my backflushed DE / pool water through my main drain out to the city sewer line. What I'm looking for is a way to collect the DE so it can be disposed of separately, rather than sending all that solid material through my 64 year old house main line. I've seen those DE collection socks that are sold on Amazon, but I'm not sure how good they work. I saw on another site where someone said to use a pillowcase tied on the end of your discharge hose. I tried that and it didn't work that great. It took about 30 seconds before the DE clogged up the pillow case and caused it to blow up like a balloon. I've also allegedly blackflushed into the street sewer line, but that left a white powdery trail that went about 800ft from the sewer back to my house... lol. I'd rather not get fined.

So.. what do you guys think?

Cellulose instead of DE. Backwash onto your lawn. It doesn't cake up like DE and it will rot eventually. And it's kind of fun to play fireman with the huge hose stream. I leave my wife at the switch and we call each other on the cell phones. If I need it shut off fast, she can do it.

Prior to switching, I waited for a rainy day to backwash into the gutter. No telltale white streak left behind.

Thanks for the Reply Richard. I have to deal with the same city for the regulations that you do. One question, I have a salt pool, so will the salt kill my St. Augustine in my front lawn or Marathon 1 in my rear lawn by the pool? Also, do you buy the Cellulose from Johnny's?

There are DE separation tanks that some municipalities require: https://www.google.com/search?q=DE+separation+tank

Thanks for that link... I have a good place to send the DE free water, so this might work out for me. Granted.. I've only backwashed my filter three times in a year and half that I've owned the pool, so it will get very little use. I could probably build something similar out of a small trashcan, using one of the Hayward collection bags.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.