Life Spa Pump problem troubleshoot question

Jul 24, 2014
Thousand Oaks, CA
Hi,
I am trying to get my 15 yr old Life Spa going again after being empty a long time. I have power to the pump, I can hear it humming. It's a two speed pump. The "High Pump" red light is lit on the panel. It sounds like it is trying to activate, but clicks off after about 30 seconds. I have opened the prime knob and water is flowing out. I am unsure if I am priming it correctly, electrical, or maybe pump seizure? Has anyone come across this issue? Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

You might check to see if the pump motor has a start capacitor. They commonly fail and the pump exhibits symptoms like that.

Motor frozen..?

That would be my guess after sitting so long. Could also just be the caps, but i wouldn't expect the motor to spin with them disconnected.

The motor is totally enclosed, so to check if it's siezed, you're going to have to drain it, then unscrew the couplings at the suction and discharge of the pump to move it out of the way of the piping. Then try to turn the impeller through the suction port. If it is seized, you might be able to break it free and be OK.

If there's not enough room to get at the impeller, you might have to unwired the motor and pull the whole pump/motor assembly.

Don't keep trying to run it till it kicks out on overtemp. You're risking burning up the windings.

Best way to test the capacitors is to replace them. The motor will not start without them. Capacitors will degrade in time. Some faster some slower. Lifespan can be from 5 to 20 years. If you replace the capacitors and the motor does not start, than you have a mechanical problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.