Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Life Spa Pump problem troubleshoot question

1. Back To Top    #1

Life Spa Pump problem troubleshoot question

Hi,
    I am trying to get my 15 yr old Life Spa going again after being empty a long time. I have power to the pump, I can hear it humming. It's a two speed pump. The "High Pump" red light is lit on the panel. It sounds like it is trying to activate, but clicks off after about 30 seconds. I have opened the prime knob and water is flowing out. I am unsure if I am priming it correctly, electrical, or maybe pump seizure? Has anyone come across this issue? Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Life Spa Pump problem troubleshoot question

Welcome to TFP!

You might check to see if the pump motor has a start capacitor. They commonly fail and the pump exhibits symptoms like that.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

It does, and some research points to the same problem - capacitor. Can they be tested? I am also curious to know how to check that motor spins freely, haven't quite figured that out yet.

Thanks for your help!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by briscuba View Post
    I am also curious to know how to check that motor spins freely, haven't quite figured that out yet.
    Post a picture of your pump and motor and maybe we can help.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, I'll see if I can get a pic.

I pulled both both capacitors off, and it still does the same thing. It makes a loud humming noise, then clicks off.

Motor frozen..?

Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

Tree pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

Life Spa Pump problem troubleshoot question

Quote Originally Posted by briscuba View Post
    Motor frozen..?
    That would be my guess after sitting so long. Could also just be the caps, but i wouldn't expect the motor to spin with them disconnected.

The motor is totally enclosed, so to check if it's siezed, you're going to have to drain it, then unscrew the couplings at the suction and discharge of the pump to move it out of the way of the piping. Then try to turn the impeller through the suction port. If it is seized, you might be able to break it free and be OK.

If there's not enough room to get at the impeller, you might have to unwired the motor and pull the whole pump/motor assembly.

Don't keep trying to run it till it kicks out on overtemp. You're risking burning up the windings.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Best way to test the capacitors is to replace them. The motor will not start without them. Capacitors will degrade in time. Some faster some slower. Lifespan can be from 5 to 20 years. If you replace the capacitors and the motor does not start, than you have a mechanical problem.