Hi from Clover SC

Jul 24, 2014
Clover, SC
Hi all,

I am in the pool purchasing process and want to make sure I do things right from the start. Right now I have secured financing and I know who will install. We will be buying an Alaglas pool from the dealer in Charlotte NC. The dealer will be here to look at our yard tomorrow evening and discuss what we want. Can you guys give me some advice on these topics as well as any other input you may have?

1. Opinion of Alaglas?
  2. opinion of Alaglas dealer in Charlotte (if known)
  3. Can I negotiate?
  4. If I can negotiate how would you advise me to get the conversation started?
  5. Recommendation on pumps? (we will be going with saltwater)
  6. What to beware of?
  7. What to be aware of?
  8. What else do I need to consider?
  9. Add ons such as rock falls, motorized skimmers, heaters?

Thanks
Wade

While I cannot answer most of your questions (not being from the Charlotte area), I can extend a hearty Welcome To TFP!

When it comes to pumps, I would consider only 2-speeds and variable-speed models. For most people - those with electric rates less than $0.20 per kWh - the 2-speed is the simpler and more cost-effective option. When I replace my current single-speed pump, I'm going with a 2-speed.

As for heaters, if you plan on a spa or are serious about extending the swimming season for as long as possible and don't mind water down to at least 70°F, than I would consider a heater. OTOH, if there will not be a spa and you are the type who wouldn't consider entering the pool unless the water is at least 80°F, then I probably wouldn't get the heater simply based on cost-justification grounds.

Hi Wade,

I agree with Bo on the pump. Either 2 speed or VS.
Consider a slatwater pool. It sure makes keeping the chlorine levels easy as pie. The cost of the SW system is higher up front, but over a few years of adding chlorine manually *whichever way*, the cost evens out.
If you decide to get one, you will prolly be better off getting a timer for it, seperate from the pump timer.

Another option is a pool light *if applicable*. LEDs cost a little but last forever and dont cost much electricity. They also dont attract as many bugs at night. Regular incandescent bulbs will cost quite a bit in electricity each month.
If you get a light, put it on a timer.

I would recommend to put at least a return if not a step jet right over the steps. That makes keeping them clean a breeze. OTherwise, you will be constantly sweeping them off with a broom.

Filter options. Here is some good descriptions of the differences between different types.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/117-pool-equipment