Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best way to Dispense the Stabilizer pucks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best way to Dispense the Stabilizer pucks?

OK so brand new pool owner. Read through the pool school. I just got done filling the pool. About to test it. I did buy some of the chemicals like borax powder, baking soda, and bleach. I also purchased a stabilizer in the form of 1 inch pucks. How is the best way to dispense this?
    Intex 18 42 6400gal AG pool
    Krystal Clear Filter Pump 1500gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best way to Dispense the Stabilizer pucks?

A feeder/floater designed for 1" pucks is best. Such as

OR many other varieties available online, WalMart, pool stores etc.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I've never seen stabilizer sold in 1" pucks. Are you sure you didn't get stabilized chlorine tablets containing trichlor? We don't recommend using trichlor.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I've never seen stabilizer sold in 1" pucks. Are you sure you didn't get stabilized chlorine tablets containing trichlor? We don't recommend using trichlor.
    Yeah thats what I got..ill have to look around for the correct stuff. Since I just started a brand new pool my TC is less than 1ppm and have no CYA. I wont be able to get anything to bump my CYA until tomorrow is it still ok to add the bleach?

5. Back To Top    #5

If you haven't added *any* CYA, you want to add 2 ppm of chlorine each after dusk in the evening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

yes, you can still add bleach. go to pool math and enter your information and shoot to keep you minimum free chlorine at 2 ppm.

Handy Chlorine/CYA relationship chart

Your pucks are adding CYA but slowly. Use pool math to figure out how much you need then pick up some HTH from wally-world. It will say 99% cyanuric acid. Shoot for CYA of 20 because you can add more next week if needed. Save the pucks for when you're gone on vacation.
    27' AG 18K Gallons ~ Cartridge Filter ~ Pentair 1.5 HP Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Syracuse NY!? Hello from Fayetteville!

So you know, East Syracuse and Cicero Walmart are out of stabilizer (CYA.) I got the last jug from E. Syracuse last week. Sorry. Another Walmart might still have some left. They won't restock until next season. Lowes is your next best bet (50% more money than Walmart), or a pool store (50% more $$ than Lowes). I know Lowes Cicero has a bunch of the 3lb jugs, as I got two last night.

One good way to dispense is to pour into an old sock, and hang the sock in front of the return jet. I put my socks in the skimmer basket, although I don't know if that's an option on an Intex.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

8. Back To Top    #8

Well that's not good. I'll make a trip to the Camillus wally world tonight. The only thing that home depot has was trichlor

intex 18x42 AGB-Syracuse, NY

9. Back To Top    #9

Lowe's in Central New York has stabilizer. Home Depot does not.
    Fayetteville, NY -17K gal, IG vinyl, Hayward SP2300VSP Max-Flo Variable Speed Pump, FlowVis Flow Meter, Sand filter
    Self designed Arduino powered automation for pump and solar control, Solar Attic Pool Heater, AutoPilot Digital SWG, TF100

10. Back To Top    #10

picked up the last 2 containers of HTH stabilizer from Walmart in Camillus a few minutes ago. Say 96% Cyanuric Acid.

11. Back To Top    #11

HTH stablizer I've found is pretty good. Dissolves more readily than other brands of 99% CYA that I've purchased.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons