Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: does cloudy = night for chlorine departure and Ok to add chlorine / acid together

1. Back To Top    #1

does cloudy = night for chlorine departure and Ok to add chlorine / acid together

I understand should add chlorine in the evening so works all night before daytime sunny burn off

lots of cloudy weather out here and is convenient to check pool in the AM before kids get in and add stuff if needed

so is chlorine burn off any different daytime cloudy from night time
    i.e. should I change to evening schedule?
    TFP search did not return anything

and

seems I add bleach, pH goes up, add acid; repeat
    anything wrong with adding bleach & acid at the same time?
    TFP search says from 2009 add one, wait a few minutes for it to mix, then add the other
    still valid?
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: does cloudy = night for chlorine departure and Ok to add chlorine / acid together

You can add the chlorine whenever it is convenient ... but you should try to be consistent to learn your pools needs. The time of day does not really matter very much.

You should test the pH and FC at the same time and then adjust both (leaving at least a few minutes between the additions so they mix separately in the water). The bleach will temporarily raise the pH, but it will drop as it is consumed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: does cloudy = night for chlorine departure and Ok to add chlorine / acid together

I think UV radiation passes through clouds, so cloudy is not the same as night time.

Regarding time of day to add chlorine, I like to add it in the evening so that FC is at its highest all night long. Adding it in the morning would have FC at its lowest level all night long.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Likelytheswimming and spkasing is the reason for the PH increase. If your TA is high it would also come into play.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess lotsa ways to skin the cat, at least this cat
    not much swimming splashing as grand babies not about
    TA is 70
    I can change to add in the evening
    thank you
    IG under fir trees and one cherry surrounded by grass built in 1979, 30k, plaster, old Sta-Rite HRPB30, 4.9 sq.ft, 20 GPM/sq.ft., but with new glass, new (in 2012) 1 HP WhisperFlo one speed, new (in 2013) Rainbow tab chlorinator attached at the top, old Maxi-Flo Heat Exchanger MF-260, Burnham V7 oil heater 245 MBH, new (in 2012) Compool to Easytouch, Taylor K-2005 and TF-100.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what jblizzle said. don't overthink the pool stuff.....it's all about repeatability and not worrying about minutiae.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I prefer to test/add in the evening due to the FC being higher for longer periods overnight rather than like mentioned earlier where it would be lowest overnight. But life is life and sometimes morning is when I have time.

30 minutes with circulation between adding different types of chemicals is recommended. In a pool your size, like mine, I've added liquid acid at one end of the pool and added bleach at the other end of the pool within 10 minutes of each other but safer and more effective to give each chemical time to mix.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons