Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lubeless pump basket O-ring

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas, TX

Lubeless pump basket O-ring

Hi, just a quick question out of curiosity. When I changed my pump out a few years ago (Sta-Rite Max-E-Pro), the manual was very specific that the basket lid o-ring NOT have any lubrication applied to it. On my old pump, I had always used Leslies o-ring lube, and it lasted the life of my pump, almost 10 years.

According to the manual, the o-ring "contains a permanent internal lubricant". I have had no problems so far, but was wondering if anyone has experience about the longevity of such an o-ring.
    25000 Gallon gunite and plaster, 100 perimeter feet. Pool built 1996, original owner.
    Uniclor 2400 external brine membrane chlorine generator.
    Kreepy Krauly inground cleaner, suction side.
    Sta-Rite System 3 filter, 300 sq foot cartridge with 1.5 lb cellulose filter aid used.
    Sta-Rite Max-E glass 2 HP pump, Solar Cover for heat retention and evaporation control.

2. Back To Top    #2

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: Lubeless pump basket O-ring

I don't have the same pump, but I've never had a problem with the pump lid seal or O-ring but I've had two pumps over 11 years (I changed from a single-speed to a variable speed/flow pump).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pearland, TX

Re: Lubeless pump basket O-ring

I'm curious about this as well because that's what the pool store told me too.
    Java - Learning that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!- Houston Tx - 22,000 gallon IG gunite pool running a DE Hayward filter DE-4800 (48SQFT 96 GPM), Hayward Vari-flo multi-port valve 715XR60, Pump - Century Centurion 0-177215-04 1hp. Polaris 9400 Sport Robotic Pool Cleaner. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, a pool light, diving board. Age of pool &equipment unknown, pool age est. ~ 20-30 yrs, equipment probably newer.