Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

New pool owner, i have everything pretty much figured out I but I am not sure what this is?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

Looks like a cover for a wall suction line ... waterfall?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Looks like a cover for a wall suction line ... waterfall?
    Ahh..I bet your right. I bought a foreclosure and I called the sticker on the equipment and they built the pool. They said it had a fountain. The former homeowner may have taken it.

Is it only for a fountain or waterfall?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Did the builder have any recommendation as to what to do with the remaining bit?
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

5. Back To Top    #5

I found a port (without a cover) for when there apparently used to be a separate pump for my waterfall. I plumbed it to the main pump and now can use it as a second suction line.

I keep meaning to try to find a cover for it ... this is the first time I have actually seen it done. I need to find a similar one, ideally dark grey
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

No they just said there was a fountain.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hate to appear Duh..., but:

Is there some reason an ordinary drain cover wouldn't work?

A quick Google came up with this (never heard of the company, either):
    http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.co...rain_cover.htm

This has 4 models with flow rates for both floor and wall returns.
    One has 100 gpm rating for wall application; 180 for floor install.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

8. Back To Top    #8

I had my pool closed this week. I used the company that built the pool. It is a separate line from the returns and they said it is hooked to the main drain and when that gets plugged this line kicks in. Does this sound like something that is feasible? They also told me it is an exclusive design of theirs and that they are the company that came up with in floor cleaners design that all pool companies are using. I don't know if the are full of BS or not.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

In the Industry

You can get those covers from any company that sells spa parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Weird...if skimmer and main drain were plugged, this line would have any where to draw water from?

10. Back To Top    #10

I am trying to understand how everything works so I know my pool. So I have no idea how it would work.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

In the Industry

It could be a suction relief system. Shoud anyone get hair trapped in main then the pressure opens a valve and water now comes from side port. Suctions ceases in main drain then.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by pooladdict View Post
    It could be a suction relief system. Shoud anyone get hair trapped in main then the pressure opens a valve and water now comes from side port. Suctions ceases in main drain then.
    That makes sense. I will go study up.