New pool owner, started with a swamp

Hi all. New member/pool owner, bought a foreclosure house with a 24x16 AG pool that hasn't been taken care of in probably 2+ seasons. Greenish black, full of algae, smelled like a sewer when we bought it. Started by going to the pool store to find out what kind of equipment and chemicals I needed and what the process was to recover this pool. After buying a Hayward XStream 150 sq ft cartridge filter system with a 1.5hp pump, a bottle of algaecide and a ton of liquid chlorine/pool shock and getting mixed results after a week, I started googling and found this place. I now have a TF-100 test kit and a cursory understanding of pool chemistry. I scooped all the muck and leaves I could get out of it the first day (and there was a solid 3-4 inches at the bottom, I bent the handle on my leaf rake pole). I've been SLAMming the pool since I got the kit last Friday and have made noticeable progress, but I was hoping to get some feedback on my numbers and make sure I'm heading in the right direction. Keep in mind that I had already been loading the pool with chlorine before I got the test kit and learned the proper way to SLAM the pool, so my initial FC numbers are pretty high. I also failed to read the part where it says to measure PH before adding chlorine, so not sure how reliable those numbers are. I'll just give you day 1 and today. Here goes:

7/18

CYA = 0 ( I tested 4 times, pretty sure I got it right)
PH - 8.2+ (off the scale)
FC - 50
CC - 3.5
TA - 90-100

7/23

FC - 15 (after sitting all day, I added a gallon of 8.25% when I got home from work)
CC - .75
PH - 7.5
I measured CYA on the first day multiple times and got 0 every time, so I added 4lbs of HTH granular conditioner directly into the skimmer. I haven't measured since because I read that it can take up to a week for it to register on the test. Since the pool had been pretty much uncovered for years, I figured it was very likely that the CYA was in fact down to zero. Since adding it, I've had a much easier time maintaining 20-30 FC throughout the day, even whe we had temps of 85-90 and lots of sunlight the past few days. I've been using 8.25% Clorox 1-3 times per day, depending on what the tests show. Since I didn't know for sure what to do with 0 CYA, my target has been 20 FC daily. It's never dropped below 10, which should be sufficient with 0 CYA per the chart. This was early on, before I added the CYA. Since adding, it's never been below 20. I'm now 6 days in and the water is very blue, but cloudy. I can't see the bottom and there is still a dark spot in the middle, though when I brush it and rake it, virtually nothing comes up, just a bit of dead algae and the occasional small leaf. Is this normal progress given what I started with and what I've done so far? Thanks in advance, this site has been awesome.

Hi Eddie,
your experience sounds normal for the most part. It takes a good while for the filter to filter the water until it's clear. The pool didnt get that way in a few days, and it will take a while to get it finally all cleared up. It will likely linger there with a blueish hue for several several days, but it will without a doubt, clear up.

It seems you have a pretty good grip on what to do.

Regarding your CYA. Even though it may take a few days to show up on the Test, the CYA does start to become effective when added, as you have well noticed. Since this is the case, you need to consider that your CYA is somewhere near 50 (according to pool math with 64 ozs and 9800 gallons gets you to 50) and adjust your SLAM FC level to that, which would be about 20, and that appears to be what you are doing, so good job on that. (would have been easier on you to only put in 2 lbs of Stabilizer to SLAM, but whats done is done as far as that goes).

Don't forget to clean your filter when the pressure rises 20 percent above the "clean" pressure. I would think your 150 cartridge will require cleaning quite often during the SLAM.

Overall, I think you are doing well.

Last edited:
Before:

ypa7yru6.jpg

Today:

te9ene9e.jpg

Keep up with the SLAM and one morning here real soon, you'll come out and see the bottom of your pool! :goodjob:

Also, I just did my morning tests and checked the TA for the first time in almost a week. It's up from 100 on 7/19 to 400+ today (I stopped at 40 drops). I did a PH test and it was ~7.5, though I've read those aren't reliable at high chlorine levels. What should I be doing at this point?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, I just did my morning tests and checked the TA for the first time in almost a week. It's up from 100 on 7/19 to 400+ today (I stopped at 40 drops). I did a PH test and it was ~7.5, though I've read those aren't reliable at high chlorine levels. What should I be doing at this point?
At high FC levels, the TA test goes blue>yellow instead of green>pink. Try it again and I'll bet the result is close to what you had before and not 400.

You are doing great! Off to a wonderful start with getting the test kit!

Now what you do is pick one place to take a pic of your rake or vacuum pole. Make sure to stand the same height every time you take a pic. This will allow you and us to see the difference in the water. It will be subtle BUT it will show the improvement and give you hope!

Kim

Took the cartridge out yesterday to clean, it was pretty bad. Loaded with dead algae and what looks like dirt from the bottom of the pool. I sprayed it out really good and put it back in, PSI is still right around where it's been since new (17-19). Since this is clearly going to be an issue until the pool is clear, is there a good way to put a sort of pre-filter in to catch the bigger pieces and prevent daily cleanings of the cartridge? I was thinking along the lines of maybe a nylon stocking in the skimmer bucket. Thoughts?

Update:

Tomorrow will be day 14 of SLAM. As of last night, I can start to make out the pattern on the bottom of the liner. Pool is still cloudy, but I can see the bottom and the net when I put it all the way down, which is a first for me. I've been maintaining FC at 20-25 and CC has been hovering between .5 and 1.5 (1 last night). I've ran the OCLT the past two nights and lost 1 and .5ppm respectively. I've been cleaning the cartridge every other day and seeing algae and dirt, no more large particles. Am I close? Is there anything else I should be doing to speed it up at this point?

The only thing I can think of is cleaning the filter every day just so it is really clean and can catch all of the stuff.

Are you sweeping the sides, bottom, every thing REAL good every day? Of course that make it look worse but...........needs to be done.

You are very close!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.