SWG has white build up; High TA

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL

Temps reached 90's here yesterday, pool used by 4 people about 4 - 5 hrs; water temp 82 F. Cloudy looking today, just a little, but readings are as follows:
FC 3.5
PH 7.5
TA 240
CYA 35
CH 350
Salt 3000

FC dropped to 3.5, from 5.5 yesterday, so assume the reason for the slightly cloudy water. I will add the 35 oz. of bleach recommended by pool school to clear up this problem.

In addition, I want to lower TA because I see there are white scales formed on the SWG system. My question is how much acid is safe to add at one time with a pool of only about 6400 to 6700 gallons? I assume that Pool Math will not tell me to add more acid than is safe for my pool and number of gallons of water in my pool, but does this normally allow for swimming within a few hours of adding the acid when aeration is used to bring the PH back up to the 7.5 or 7.6 level? My aeration is running the pump with the intake valve turned up so it breaks the waters surface. Is that enough aeration to repeat the process many times a day and swim the next day, for example?

What numbers monitor the relationship between the acid in the water being safe or too much that it could burn a swimmer? I understand that I will have to add it over time, but not sure how I will know how much to add overall? Again, I assume the continuing use of pool math will be the factor that will decide that, but how does it work, please?

If I understand pool math, it will only tell me to add enough acid to bring the PH down to 7.0 to 7.2 at the lowest at any one time. Then repeat the process until I can get my TA in line. Does this mean that I should keep track of how much time it takes using aeration to raise the PH back up to 7.6? Since my TA is very high, I am wondering how much acid it is likely to take over how much time to get my TA down to 80? Does the fact that I must get the PH back up to 7.6 before adding more acid neutralize the acid so it no longer can burn?

Last edited:
It is safe to add as much acid as is needed, assuming your target is still in the 7s. Make sure your current TA is also in the NOW column.

You can swim 30 minutes after you add the acid. Even a pH slightly below 7.0 is not going to "burn" anyone ... might irritate the eyes a bit, but not harmful.

You are over thinking things. Lower the pH to 7.2 or so; aerate for awhile ; when the pH is back up in the upper 7s, add more acid to go back to 7.2.

The acid does not "build-up" in the pool as I think you are thinking.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.