Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Panel Damage?

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Panel Damage?

It's hot here, and the pool is already 90*. I don't want it to get any warmer, so I've turned off the solar panels and taken off the cover. My question is, will I do any damage to the solar panels letting them sit up on the garage in the beating sun all day full of water? I've just been going out there avery half hour or so and closing the bypass so cool pool water flows into them and the HOTT water flows out.

Thanks,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Panel Damage?

You should drain the water out of them when they aren't being used.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

I cover mine when I don't want heat. I can't see how draining the water would hurt it though. The ones I use were sitting on a roof with no water in them for years before I got them.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, I guess I'll just let the water out when I don't need the heat. The only thing is, I have to go up to the roof and open a rubber cap to release the vacuum. The panels didn't come with a vacuum breaker, so I was wondering if I can just use a normal plumbing check valve to break the vacuum?

Something like this:

Thanks,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)

5. Back To Top    #5

A plumbing check valve will work but I don't use the style you show in your picture.
    The type I use is a 1" brass, threaded spring style check which works great.
    I simply put it on the highest point of my panels and when the pump shuts off the water pulls the valve open which drains the water. As soon as the negative pressure goes away the valve closes and is ready for the next cycle.
    There is also a plastic check (brand name Brady) which is of the same style but they are much cheaper made and will cause problems. The problem I had was when the check valve would close the spring wasn't strong enough to completly seat the valve. This caused water to spray out of the check the next time my controller turned the panels on. If I hadn't been home I would have lost a LOT of water over the course of the day.
    Hope this helps.
    Dave

6. Back To Top    #6

I hear you can run the panels at night to cool the pool somewhat. Also cheaper if you are on time-of-use electric metering.
    Pool: 625 SF Free-Form In-Ground Shotcrete Pool w/7.5' dia spa.(8 jets), 24" raised bond beam (22,500 gal)
    Pentair Equip: Intelliflo VF Pump, MasterTemp 400 Heater, IC40 SWG, Quad DE 100 Filter
    Automation: IntelliTouch i7+3 (+ extender panel), 6 Jandy Automated Valves (S, R, Spa Bypass, Solar, Cleaner, Spillway)
    Other: 75% Solar, Kreepy Kruiser Cleaner, Tan Hip-Hop Diving Board (a bit curved) on 606 Cantilever Base (SR Smith)
    Links: [TFP Pool Build Thread] - [TFP Landscaping Thread]

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I'll lok into a brass check valve. I was going to mention in my last pos that last night I ran the panels all night to cool down the pool. It worked alright, but only dropped the temp about 4*. That was enough to get the water to 89* and that's right about where we like it so that's good.

Adam

8. Back To Top    #8

Here in Texas, 90 degree pool water is "just startin' to get nice". Mine has been as high as 93 with no solar. 8)
    18' AG Pool, 6900 gallons, 55 sq. ft. Hayward Easy Clear Cartridge Filter, 1hp Power Flow LX Pump, North Texas