The Pool Cleaner no longer climbs the sides? Is this true?

I never quite understood why it climbed the wall in the first place. The cleaner doesn't scrub the wall so why bother? IMHO, vacuuming the wall does very little and it does not really substitute for brushing. For me, the most useful part of the cleaner is that it effectively removes debris from the bottom of the pool.

Well I often get slugs hanging out around the top of my pool after a rain. My polaris gets them (not sure if it gets them itself or it's tail knocks them off, but it gets them). If this isn't climbing, it won't. Slugs is my #1 reason for loving a cleaner!

Corry's slug bait works wonders! That way they never make it to the pool.

But even with the old version, it rarely makes it to the water line. And when it does, it usually goes above it and sucks a lot of air so I don't think was very useful and probably wouldn't get the slugs.

Is there another pool cleaner that will get them? We already had the system switched from pressure to suction so I need to get something.

And yes, I use snail bait. But I have vacation renters here half the year and there's nobody else to kill the slugs, so they build up. I don't want them dealing with slugs either.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is there another pool cleaner that will get them? We already had the system switched from pressure to suction so I need to get something.

And yes, I use snail bait. But I have vacation renters here half the year and there's nobody else to kill the slugs, so they build up. I don't want them dealing with slugs either.
You really don't want a suction cleaner to go above the water line or it will suck air and then the pump could lose prime and may not re-prime on it's own and then you could have a pump run dry which is a much bigger problem.

You might want to consider a robotic. It has scrubbers which WILL scrub the walls and probably do a better job of capturing the slugs. Plus it is completely independent of the pump. But the renters will still have to deal with the cleaner.

I have a Pentair KreepyKrauly SandShark. Works fine for me and it climbs the PebbleTec walls. Depending on how much your pump SUCKS (Hahahahaha, I crack me up...) it can easily jump above the water line (not good in my opinion). But overall I like it

As far as snails go....yuck, not sure I want go fishing anything like that out of my leaf trap :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had good luck with the Hayward one. Change the pads and flaps ever 1.5 to 2 years. Climbs to the water line just fine. When it stops moving as fast change out the turbine. Both replacement parts are cheap.

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

I have had good luck with the Hayward one. Change the pads and flaps ever 1.5 to 2 years. Climbs to the water line just fine. When it stops moving as fast change out the turbine. Both replacement parts are cheap.

I'm not sure how your response is relevant, as they JUST made the change to the Next Gen. If you've had yours over 1.5-2 years then you have the old design.

FYI, here is the response from hayward: "We have made minor modifications on the new cleaner. The Next Generation Models have wheel bearings instead of wheel bushings: plastic clip on wheel instead of shoulder bolt: Angle lower body instead of non-angle lower body: changeable inlets instead of fix inlet:axle inserts instead of brass or s/s inserts.

Other than those modifications it will still work as the original PoolCleaner. The PoolCleaner can climb up the walls. They might go up to 2 feet before it comes down. The type of surface your pool has will play a factor of how the PoolCleaner climbs. It is not necessary for the PoolCleaner to climb the walls."

I'm not sure how your response is relevant, as they JUST made the change to the Next Gen. If you've had yours over 1.5-2 years then you have the old design.

FYI, here is the response from hayward: "We have made minor modifications on the new cleaner. The Next Generation Models have wheel bearings instead of wheel bushings: plastic clip on wheel instead of shoulder bolt: Angle lower body instead of non-angle lower body: changeable inlets instead of fix inlet:axle inserts instead of brass or s/s inserts.

Other than those modifications it will still work as the original PoolCleaner. The PoolCleaner can climb up the walls. They might go up to 2 feet before it comes down. The type of surface your pool has will play a factor of how the PoolCleaner climbs. It is not necessary for the PoolCleaner to climb the walls."

Very easy relevant, my neighbor just bought one a few weeks ago (because he didnt fell like rebuilding it) I took it apart. The bearings, pads and flippers look identical to mine and the extra set I have in my shed.
Both had ball bearings and I stopped there. The body looked a little different but thats it for what I saw as differences.
Also my cleaner or my neighbors will not climb the wall if the suction is not set right. Too much suction and it wears the pads and flippers to fast, not enough wont climb the walls. use the little suction indicator that comes with it.
Is that relevant enough for you.

I dont believe the hype on a lot of "changes" companies make untill I can see for my self. A lot is so you buy a new one. Spending 12 dollars in flippers and pads every 1-2 years instead of a new cleaner, they need to do something to stay in business.

Very easy relevant, my neighbor just bought one a few weeks ago (because he didnt fell like rebuilding it) I took it apart. The bearings, pads and flippers look identical to mine and the extra set I have in my shed.
Both had ball bearings and I stopped there. The body looked a little different but thats it for what I saw as differences.
Also my cleaner or my neighbors will not climb the wall if the suction is not set right. Too much suction and it wears the pads and flippers to fast, not enough wont climb the walls. use the little suction indicator that comes with it.
Is that relevant enough for you.

This thread is about "The Pool Cleaner", a wheeled cleaner with an admittedly confusing name, so your post is really not relevant.

This thread is about "The Pool Cleaner", a wheeled cleaner with an admittedly confusing name, so your post is really not relevant.

I took the post as asking for opinions. He saw a video and was asking if they climbed walls. I gave my opinion on mine as it climbs the walls if you maintain them. I didn't think the basis was just for one type of "Pool Cleaner".

Sent from the bat phone near a drilling rig.

I've had the old version of The Pool Cleaner in two pools. The first we had for two years, fibre glass pool and after two years there was no sign of wear on the wheel tyres at all. In the current house we bought one 5 years ago and it runs 6-8 hours per day. The pool is pebblecrete and it's definitely more abrasive on the tyres. I replaced the tyres about a year ago as they had worn enough that there wasn't enough clearance to the bottom of the pool and it was getting stuck in a few spots on tight radius curves.

It does get jammed occasionally with palm fronds. We get quite a lot of leaf litter in the pool. In terms of climbing the walls, the location of the two floats on the hose above the cleaner are quite important. It will climb the walls on our pool quite well, but I actually shifted the floats to stop it as I can't honestly see it doing much on the walls. I'm happy for it to clean the bottom of the pool and leave the walls to me. The most recent one, I haven't tried, but it's supposed to be adapted slightly to allow it to handle the low flows of variable speed pumps.

Overall I've been very happy with mine, or I wouldn't have bought a second one when we left the old house. I notice that there are a few clones of it around now from other brands. It must have been good enough to be worth copying. The only other pool cleaner I've had was an old Barracuda, I was never particularly impressed with those. Noisy things they were and the pebblecrete wears out the pad pretty quickly. I can see the appeal in the more advanced robotic cleaners, but for my pool, I really don't see the value for money in them. The Pool Cleaner or something similar seems to be a decent sweet spot in terms of performance and price.

I can't say I noticed any difference in reliability between the first two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.