Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need new pool filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Need new pool filter

I have a Jacuzzi that is 14 years old and leaking from the bottom. It may just be the o-ring but the pool stores don't want to repair because they said it is probably a crack as they are known to crack. Anyway one pool store recommended the Hayward 900 and the other store Hayward 1200. The Jacuzzi is 100 sq ft. My pool has a 1 1/2 hp pump (just replaced after 3 years). I have 6 returns, 1 skimmer, 3 jets and a small water fall and a line for pool cleaner. The pool is approximately 19 x 30 and holds about 16,500 gallons of water and it is with chlorine. Any suggestions on which one I should purchase? or look at any others?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need new pool filter

The general rule of thumb on filters is bigger is better! You won't get as much resistance from a larger filter and will be able to go longer between cleanings
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Is the 1200 large enough or should I be looking at something else? Opinions appreciated.

4. Back To Top    #4

How many sq. ft. is the 900 and 1200. Get one with at least the size you have now, or go a little bigger if in doubt.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

5. Back To Top    #5

from what I understand it is 900 and 1200 sq ft.

6. Back To Top    #6

That doesn't sound right, I think it would be HUGE if it was 1200 sq. ft., and if your current filter is only 100 sq. ft., then both of those are WAY over sized. BTW, these are cartridge filters right?

I did a quick Yahoo search, and came up with this... from http://www.poolhub.com

HayC9002......HayC12002
    3/4 HP..........1 HP, 1 1/2 HP
    90 sq. ft........120 sq. ft.
    $215.00.........$262.00

I would go with the C-1200, it is designed for your size pump, is a little bigger then your current filter, and doesn't cost much more then the C-900.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. I did mean 90 and 120 sq ft.