Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swimming at shock level.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Swimming at shock level.....

I know the consensus is that its safe to swim up to shock level. Does that mean if my shock level is 17, i can swim at 17, and just not at 18+?

also, what would happen if you swam at over shock level? Chlorine will just dry out your skin or what?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swimming at shock level.....

sshhhhhhhh ... it is still safe over shock level, within reason ....

The higher your FC relative to your CYA, the more active chlorine in the water and thus the more harsh it is to your skin, hair, swimsuit, etc.

Check out this chart that shows the active level as a function of CYA and FC. You can draw your own conclusions about what is a "safe level" of FC when you remember that a public pool with 0 CYA often has a FC up around 2ppm.
    http://richardfalk.home.comcast.net/.../pool/HOCl.htm

I will give an example:
    That public pool would have an active chlorine level of around 1.00ppm
    At CYA 50, normal FC level is 6, giving an active chlorine level of 0.05ppm (1/20th as harsh as the public pool)
    At CYA 50, shock level is 20, so active chlorine level is 0.30ppm (1/3 as harsh as the public pool)
    At CYA 50, to match the active level in the public pool, the FC would need to be up around 30ppm probably.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by gtnos View Post
    I know the consensus is that its safe to swim up to shock level. Does that mean if my shock level is 17, i can swim at 17, and just not at 18+?

also, what would happen if you swam at over shock level? Chlorine will just dry out your skin or what?
    Actually even over shock level (within reason)it is safe for normal skin. It is bad for people with skin conditions and is really harsh on your swimsuit.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I had to patch a hole underwater when the pool was above shock. I was in less than 10 minutes, and about 30 minutes later my skin felt dry and somewhat itchy. I say "somewhat itchy" because while I wasn't scratching all over, my skin felt like I had been wearing wool clothes. I don't really know how to describe it, but I certainly won't do it again unless I absolutely had to.
    18 x 48 Intex Ultra Frame
    2500 gph cartridge filter
    Intex SWG