Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie here to TFP method!! Please advise.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie here to TFP method!! Please advise.

First post!!

My Chlorinator had a leak in it this week so I started researching the web for advice and came across this site. I have purchased and received my K-2006 kit and am about to begin testing tonight. I have removed the Chlorinator all together and replumbed. I have purchase 9 bottles of 121 oz 8.25% unsented Clorox bleach, 3 large bags of Arm and Hammer baking soda (13lbs each I believe) and 2 boxes of 20 mule team Borax.

Question? Should I start with the PH test first and make sure it is ok? Where is the best place to begin with testing?
    Brandon, Mississippi
    20000 Gallon Vinyl Inground
    Sand Filter with Hayward Super 2 - 1 HP pump
    K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie here to TFP method!! Please advise.

I'd suggest starting with CYA to see what level you should be chlorinating to. You may end up having to do a partial drain to reduce Cya levels so it could be a waste of chemicals to do anything before that. Is your water looking good right now?
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

What makes some of the new members go out and buy baking soda and borax before you have even tested your water to know if you need it? Oh well, you can use it in the laundry if you do not need it.

Start with the pH and FC/CC testing as those are slightly time critical after you take the sample. Then do the rest. The CYA test should be done outside in bright indirect light.

Read: Extended Test Instructions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

First off I have been using stabilized pucks for 2.5 yrs. Well my chlorinator was leaking so the pool was shut down for a few days. I borrowed a neighbors test stips, because my k-2006 hadn't arrived yet. I was at 0 fc on the strip. I was beginning to get some algae bloom so I removed the chlorinator and replumbed. I put 3 gallons of 8.25 clorox because thats all I had. Kit came in today and here are the numbers.. yikes!!!

FC 16.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 120

CYA -180!! I had to do the diluted test to even figure it out.

Is that possible? Water is cloudy and I have been brushing and vacumming past two days.

Any advice?
    Brandon, Mississippi
    K-2006 Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

First step is to replace water to get the CYA back into range 30-50ppm.

Please PM the admins to combine your accounts. Duplicates violate forum rules.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddyp59 View Post
    First off I have been using stabilized pucks for 2.5 yrs. Well my chlorinator was leaking so the pool was shut down for a few days. I borrowed a neighbors test stips, because my k-2006 hadn't arrived yet. I was at 0 fc on the strip. I was beginning to get some algae bloom so I removed the chlorinator and replumbed. I put 3 gallons of 8.25 clorox because thats all I had. Kit came in today and here are the numbers.. yikes!!!

FC 16.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.2
    TA 90
    CH 120

CYA -180!! I had to do the diluted test to even figure it out.

Is that possible? Water is cloudy and I have been brushing and vacumming past two days.

Any advice?
    180 CYA is not only possible, it's almost expected in a pool with an inline puck feeder. With each 10 ppm FC you add via pucks, you also add 6 CYA. Even if the pool's appetite is light and you only lose 2 FC per day and you somehow get the puck feeder to add exactly the right amount, you add 8.5 CYA per week. That's over 100 CYA in 3 months! If it overfeeds, or your FC demand due to sun and use is higher, it will add even more CYA. And the dichlor "shock" the pool store recommends you toss in every week adds even more!

I started with a pool at 220-240 CYA. (Dilution starts affecting the test accuracy) Luckily, my water was clear, and I was able to maintain it that way until water restrictions were lifted some so I could replace water. With a cloudy pool, clearing it at that CYA level just isn't really feasible. You'll need to drain and replace about 80%.

Here's where it gets dicey... If you live in California, water restrictions may prohibit refilling. If the water table is close to the surface, like New Orleans, you risk floating the pool. If you have a vinyl liner, you can't drain it all in one shot - you need to leave at least a foot in the shallow end lest the liner shift and wrinkle. Also worth taking into account is that some water companies will waive the tiered rates once every so many years for pool refills, and some places base sewer rates on water consumption, but if you notify them in advance, they will sometimes adjust that charge down.

Why I bring all this up is because we have no idea. That's why we ask people to add their location and fill out the signature with the pool information. How to do it is here.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I just set up tapatalk app and left my location out of my signature.. sorry.. Brandon, Mississippi

Brandon, MS
    20000 gallon
    IG vinyl
    sand filter
    hayward .5 hp pump (I think)
    Brandon, Mississippi
    K-2006 Kit