Blown capacitor after 1 day

Jul 5, 2014
nottingham , UK
Right I have just upgraded my pump and bout a 1/2 hp pump and sand filter. Got it all wired up and was working fine however I woke up the following morning and the pump wasnt working. After taking the cover off the pump the capacitor has blown a hole in the side of it. I have sourced a replacement cap but my question is could how I wired it up have caused this or does the fact that it was working for a few hours mean its wired up ok?

Are you sure it is wired properly.
Does it have a selector for 120v or 240v?
Have you checked your disconnect box for proper line voltage?

The capacitor is only designed to operate in the circuit for a very short period. Once ~80 operating speed has been achieved the centrifugal switch will drop it out. If it remains in the circuit too long for some reason, it will likely cause premature failure or trip the internal overload. Many newer capacitors are made in... Yep you guessed it CHINA or Mexico!!! Yaay, more imported junk. So, don't be surprised if it's just a bad cap.

When the pump starts, you should hear a 'clack' sound with in a second or so. This is the switch opening the aux winding circuit with the start capacitor. Again, I would double check to ensure the switch is opening in a timely manner.

Hope that helps.

Its a run capacitor as opposed to a start capacitor so it runs all the time. Here is the old broken one
DSC_0248_zpsykzdej3l.jpg

Here is the replacement I have bought
DSC_0249_zpscqxrt7sh.jpg

DSC_0250_zpsjzgixpxh.jpg

My only problem is the new one has no wires attatched and four spade connections of which none are labelled. My old one had 2 wires already attached. How do I know which of the spades to connect to where?

I see a raised plastic line separating two spades from the other two. I believe two spades on 1 side of the line are connected, and the 2 spades on the other side of the line are connected. If you use an ohm meter to check the resistance between two spades on the same side of the line you can verify if I am correct.

If you check resistance between a spade on 1 side of the line to a spade on the other side of the line, you should measure very high resistance (infinity) Note: Meter may jump towards low resistance briefly then return to infinity.

I'm assuming your original capacitor has two wires connected to it. If so, wire the new capacitor to the same locations on the motor using a spade on one side of the plastic line and one spade on the other side of the plastic line.

I see that the original cap was 12.5 uF and the new one is 16 uF. That may be OK, but I'm not sure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.