Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blown capacitor after 1 day

1. Back To Top    #1

Blown capacitor after 1 day

Right I have just upgraded my pump and bout a 1/2 hp pump and sand filter. Got it all wired up and was working fine however I woke up the following morning and the pump wasnt working. After taking the cover off the pump the capacitor has blown a hole in the side of it. I have sourced a replacement cap but my question is could how I wired it up have caused this or does the fact that it was working for a few hours mean its wired up ok?
    12' X 40" AG Pool - metal wall with liner
    Standard intex style pump/Filter
    2x 3kw heaters
    Surrounding decking area with hot tub and sauna inside a gazebo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Blown capacitor after 1 day

Electronic parts are weird like that, some will last 30 yrs and some 30 min. Was it a new motor with a new cap?
    16 x 36 inground vinyl w/ covered steps. 9 1/2 ft deep end w/ diving board. 27,000 gal.
    PacFab Challenger 1 1/2 hp 2 speed pump, Pureflo 300 lb sand filter, Pentair chlorine feeder
    1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 3 return lines and NO LEAKS "knock on wood" LOL.

3. Back To Top    #3

Well I bought it second hand unused but the guy had it sitting around for 3 years as never got round to installing it.
    2x 3kw heaters

4. Back To Top    #4

Sitting 3 years had nothing to do it. I'm a EE, and in the biz we call it infant mortality. If a part makes it past an hour it will probably last ten years.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Are you sure it is wired properly.
    Does it have a selector for 120v or 240v?
    Have you checked your disconnect box for proper line voltage?

The capacitor is only designed to operate in the circuit for a very short period. Once ~80 operating speed has been achieved the centrifugal switch will drop it out. If it remains in the circuit too long for some reason, it will likely cause premature failure or trip the internal overload. Many newer capacitors are made in... Yep you guessed it CHINA or Mexico!!! Yaay, more imported junk. So, don't be surprised if it's just a bad cap.

When the pump starts, you should hear a 'clack' sound with in a second or so. This is the switch opening the aux winding circuit with the start capacitor. Again, I would double check to ensure the switch is opening in a timely manner.

Hope that helps.
    24k gallon inground vinyl liner pool, 8'-3' depth, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, basic 5 chem kit.
    Hayward: DE-60 filter, Superpump VS, AquaRite salt chlorinator w/T-Cell 15, TigerShark QC robot. Jacuzzi hot tub ~350gal. Air blower type, w/8 jets.

6. Back To Top    #6

Can you post a picture of the parts in question?

7. Back To Top    #7

Its a run capacitor as opposed to a start capacitor so it runs all the time. Here is the old broken one

Here is the replacement I have bought

My only problem is the new one has no wires attatched and four spade connections of which none are labelled. My old one had 2 wires already attached. How do I know which of the spades to connect to where?
    2x 3kw heaters

8. Back To Top    #8

I see a raised plastic line separating two spades from the other two. I believe two spades on 1 side of the line are connected, and the 2 spades on the other side of the line are connected. If you use an ohm meter to check the resistance between two spades on the same side of the line you can verify if I am correct.

If you check resistance between a spade on 1 side of the line to a spade on the other side of the line, you should measure very high resistance (infinity) Note: Meter may jump towards low resistance briefly then return to infinity.

I'm assuming your original capacitor has two wires connected to it. If so, wire the new capacitor to the same locations on the motor using a spade on one side of the plastic line and one spade on the other side of the plastic line.

I see that the original cap was 12.5 uF and the new one is 16 uF. That may be OK, but I'm not sure
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes I realise the uf I slightly different but I am assured the difference is minor and will be fine. You can go bigger but not smaller. If they are two pairs how do I establish which is positive and which is neutral?
    2x 3kw heaters

10. Back To Top    #10

Polarity doesn't matter (because capacitor is seeing ac voltage).

Did you perform the ohm meter tests that I mentioned?
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yes just been and bought a multimeter and like you said both spade each side of the line return 0 ohms when connected together and when connecting either side of the line the reading keeps going up.
    2x 3kw heaters

12. Back To Top    #12

Good. Thanks for verifying.

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok fitted the new capacitor 4 hours ago and pump seems to be running ok so fingers crossed has sorted the problem
    2x 3kw heaters

14. Back To Top    #14

Great. Let us know if it's still working tomorrow. I have a good feeling that the new capacitor will resolve the problem.