My First Tests

My comments in red:

The pool guy comes today, once more next Wednesday, and then after that visit I will call and cancel the service...

Here is what I got last night:
Cl = 7?
Br = 12? Ignore Br. You have a chlorine pool.
pH = 7.5
FC 26 X 0.5 = 13
TC 2 x 0.5 =1 I think you mean CC, right?
CH 22 x 25 = 550 That's high. What is the CH of your fill water?
TA 13 x 10 = 130
CYA = 89 You should do another test for CYA, probably tomorrow with the sun behind you. Also, doing the CYA dilution test will be most helpful to determine how close you are to 100.
Here's a link to the Extended Test Kit Directions(scroll down for each test ) : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/24188-Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

First test so the accuracy is probably a little off on a couple.
Is your fill water from a well or municipal water?

Yes, stop using the tabs/pucks! You are more than likely going to need to do a drain/refill dance to lower the CYA and CH, but first let's wait for confirmation with your next test results.

Testing will get easier as you go. There is a YouTube video that shows testing....link in my sig.

Congrats on getting your kit :goodjob:

Yes you should remove them. Your CYA is already way too high and you likely need about a 50% water change as the first step to taking control.

What is with the weird CYA number? Usually they are in increments of 10ppm.

My comments in red:

Is your fill water from a well or municipal water?

Yes, stop using the tabs/pucks! You are more than likely going to need to do a drain/refill dance to lower the CYA and CH, but first let's wait for confirmation with your next test results.

Testing will get easier as you go. There is a YouTube video that shows testing....link in my sig.

Congrats on getting your kit :goodjob:

Thanks for the info! The thought of removing water and putting water back in is very scary in SoCal. They want to start charging us $500 A DAY for using more than our already tiny allotment...

TC 2 x 0.5 =1 I think you mean CC, right?
> I thought I was measuring Total Chlorine but I will double check when I run the tests again tonight.
CH 22 x 25 = 550 That's high. What is the CH of your fill water?
> I don't know. Its municipal water; should test that tonight too?

I have the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer and used it for these test last night... that is the correct thing to do? Very noobish here ;)

I'll check out the Extended Directions and the YouTube video tonight also.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you should remove them. Your CYA is already way too high and you likely need about a 50% water change as the first step to taking control.

What is with the weird CYA number? Usually they are in increments of 10ppm.

CYA is probably weird because its my first test and apparently I didn't do something right. I'll try again tonight!

The 550 CH is quite believable.

And I agree -- lose the pucks. Any you have left over will keep for years if kept dry. If the pool is clear, you might luck out and be able to eliminate the CC by just maintaining adequate FC for your CYA level. I did it my first year, with CYA moire than double that.

The 550 CH is quite believable.

And I agree -- lose the pucks. Any you have left over will keep for years if kept dry. If the pool is clear, you might luck out and be able to eliminate the CC by just maintaining adequate FC for your CYA level. I did it my first year, with CYA moire than double that.

Pucks are gone! In fact the pool guy added 2 new ones today...

6:15 start time
Cl = off the chart, but makes sense if it was already high and he added more pucks...?
pH = back up to 8.2
FC = 20.5 do I round up on this?
CC = no CCs, didn't change color
CH = 625
TA = 120
CYA = 100

Water Fill:
I did my best to get just "fresh" water; however, the pool water line is almost completely covering the hole
CH = I "double dropped" so either 175 or 200

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.