Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My First Tests

1. Back To Top    #1
    West Hills, CA (Los Angeles County = no water)

My First Tests

The pool guy comes today, once more next Wednesday, and then after that visit I will call and cancel the service...

Here is what I got last night:
    Cl = 7?
    Br = 12?
    pH = 7.5
    FC 26 X 0.5 = 13
    TC 2 x 0.5 =1
    CH 22 x 25 = 550
    TA 13 x 10 = 130
    CYA = 89

First test so the accuracy is probably a little off on a couple.
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My First Tests

Should I stop using the pucks once I take over responsibilities? Actually when I go home today should I remove the floater and keep them out of the pool already?
    Patrick
    Gallons = 17K / IG / Fiberglass / Filter = Hayward DE-6000 / Hayward EcoStar Variable Speed / Pentair IC40 / 1976, I believe / Shape = "Kidney Bean"
    TF-100 / SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer / Dolphin Nautilus Pool Cleaner / Wall Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

My comments in red:

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1271 View Post
    The pool guy comes today, once more next Wednesday, and then after that visit I will call and cancel the service...

Here is what I got last night:
    Cl = 7?
    Br = 12? Ignore Br. You have a chlorine pool.
    pH = 7.5
    FC 26 X 0.5 = 13
    TC 2 x 0.5 =1 I think you mean CC, right?
    CH 22 x 25 = 550 That's high. What is the CH of your fill water?
    TA 13 x 10 = 130
    CYA = 89 You should do another test for CYA, probably tomorrow with the sun behind you. Also, doing the CYA dilution test will be most helpful to determine how close you are to 100.
    Here's a link to the Extended Test Kit Directions(scroll down for each test ) : http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions

First test so the accuracy is probably a little off on a couple.
    Is your fill water from a well or municipal water?

Yes, stop using the tabs/pucks! You are more than likely going to need to do a drain/refill dance to lower the CYA and CH, but first let's wait for confirmation with your next test results.

Testing will get easier as you go. There is a YouTube video that shows testing....link in my sig.

Congrats on getting your kit
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes you should remove them. Your CYA is already way too high and you likely need about a 50% water change as the first step to taking control.

What is with the weird CYA number? Usually they are in increments of 10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    My comments in red:

Is your fill water from a well or municipal water?

Yes, stop using the tabs/pucks! You are more than likely going to need to do a drain/refill dance to lower the CYA and CH, but first let's wait for confirmation with your next test results.

Testing will get easier as you go. There is a YouTube video that shows testing....link in my sig.

Congrats on getting your kit
    Thanks for the info! The thought of removing water and putting water back in is very scary in SoCal. They want to start charging us $500 A DAY for using more than our already tiny allotment...

TC 2 x 0.5 =1 I think you mean CC, right?
    > I thought I was measuring Total Chlorine but I will double check when I run the tests again tonight.
    CH 22 x 25 = 550 That's high. What is the CH of your fill water?
    > I don't know. Its municipal water; should test that tonight too?

I have the SpeedStir Magnetic Stirrer and used it for these test last night... that is the correct thing to do? Very noobish here

I'll check out the Extended Directions and the YouTube video tonight also.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Yes you should remove them. Your CYA is already way too high and you likely need about a 50% water change as the first step to taking control.

What is with the weird CYA number? Usually they are in increments of 10ppm.
    CYA is probably weird because its my first test and apparently I didn't do something right. I'll try again tonight!
    Patrick

6. Back To Top    #6

The CYA test is the most subjective. Usually good to pour the sample back and forth a few times and just kind of average the reading to the nearest 10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

The 550 CH is quite believable.

And I agree -- lose the pucks. Any you have left over will keep for years if kept dry. If the pool is clear, you might luck out and be able to eliminate the CC by just maintaining adequate FC for your CYA level. I did it my first year, with CYA moire than double that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    The 550 CH is quite believable.

And I agree -- lose the pucks. Any you have left over will keep for years if kept dry. If the pool is clear, you might luck out and be able to eliminate the CC by just maintaining adequate FC for your CYA level. I did it my first year, with CYA moire than double that.
    Pucks are gone! In fact the pool guy added 2 new ones today...

6:15 start time
    Cl = off the chart, but makes sense if it was already high and he added more pucks...?
    pH = back up to 8.2
    FC = 20.5 do I round up on this?
    CC = no CCs, didn't change color
    CH = 625
    TA = 120
    CYA = 100

Water Fill:
    I did my best to get just "fresh" water; however, the pool water line is almost completely covering the hole
    CH = I "double dropped" so either 175 or 200
    Patrick

9. Back To Top    #9

When FC is above 10, just ignore the pH reading. It will read falsely high. Proof is in the pictures:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...els-with-R-007
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm thinking that I should cancel my pool service today. Why have them come out one more time to clean, which I'm already doing everyday, and to add too many chemicals? I'll lose out on a few dollars but it seems like it will save me more in the long run... thoughts?
    Patrick

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like a good idea to me ... Ask yourself, what would you gain by having them come again?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Sounds like a good idea to me ... Ask yourself, what would you gain by having them come again?
    More work and more hassle; two things I don't need more of
    Patrick

13. Back To Top    #13

I've called, canceled my service, and told them they don't need to come back next Wednesday. What's my next step?
    Patrick

14. Back To Top    #14

Ideally ... replace half your water to lower the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Ideally ... replace half your water to lower the CYA.
    I think fatboy better change his profile so people know that the San Fernando Valley is in California.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I think fatboy better change his profile so people know that the San Fernando Valley is in California.
    Thanks Richard... done!
    Patrick

17. Back To Top    #17

I said "ideally"

Ignoring that ... you need the FC to drop low enough to test and adjust the pH and then to keep the FC up around 10ppm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

I said "ideally"

Ignoring that ... you need the FC to drop low enough to test and adjust the pH and then to keep the FC up around 10ppm.
    I see from the Basic Pool Chemistry that sodium thiosulfate can be used to lower FC. Is there a particular brand I should look for?
    Patrick

19. Back To Top    #19

What is the hurry? The sun will have it dropped in a few days.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Update

7/30:
    CL = 5
    pH = 7.5
    FC = 9 x 0.5 = 4.5
    CC = No CCs, did not turn pink
    CH = 26 x 25 = 650
    TA = 12 x 10 = 120
    CYA = 80

Previous results on 7/22:
    Cl = off the chart
    pH = 8.2
    FC = 20.5
    CC = no CCs, didn't change color
    CH = 625
    TA = 120
    CYA = 100
    Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast