Up and running!! With questions :)

Loriac

Jul 8, 2014
Nolanville, Texas
Got our Pro Series 20x48 pool up and filled! I started out by putting in a 1lb bag of Dichlor from Leslies (Chlor Brite) and let the pump run for 12 hours. Tested with a test strip (Taylor kit is on it's way) and FC was 0...pH 7.8 so I put in another bag of dichlor that night. Next morning I tested with a 6 way from Walmart and TC was 0 and CYA <30 ph 7.5 TA 90. In went 3 quarts of 8.25% bleach (about 10am) . I tested again that night (11pm after a pool full of kids all day) and TC 0, TA 100, ph 7.5 CYA <30. In went the THIRD 1 lb bag of dichlor.

This morning TC 5-10, ph 7.5, CYA <30, TA 120. My son is a lifeguard so I asked him to take a water sample to work and test for FC and TC. Test was done within an hr (probably 40 minutes later and protected from light). He said TC and FC were both 3.4. Now I don't trust my 6 way (which I repeated and still got TC 5-10).

Besides wait for my Taylor kit.. What should I do if anything? Water is clear and pretty :)

Thanks so much! Im working on adding pictures!

Whoa there ... getting little aggressive ;)

First, Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

You should be using PoolMath to calculate what you have been adding to your ~9000 gallon pool.

Each bag of dichlor has added 7.4ppm of FC and 6.7ppm of CYA and likely lowered the pH a good bit. So you should only use 2-4 more bags before you must switch to bleach due to rising CYA. You just may not want to be adding the bags so often. I would say half a bag each day or 1/3 bottle of bleach until the kit arrives.

That 3 quarts of bleach added another 7ppm of FC ... this has all bee way too aggressive with low CYA in the water. Hope you have not faded the liner much.

The strips are worthless, so don't even confuse yourself. You should check that the pH is not much too low though.

Sorry...got my signature done. Well I feel completely dumb. I was thinking the bleach from yesterday morning had pretty much burned off during the day which is why I added that third bag.

I'm not sure that photo attached correctly. If not I'll try again.

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My signature didn't post :(

:goodjob:

Generally we recommend adding only about 2ppm of FC when you are getting started until the CYA level builds up. Since you were using dichlor, that was adding the CYA pretty quickly, so you are likely fine. You still have a ways to raise it up to get into range though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.