Neighbor uses Baquacil in chlorine pool ?

Rick H

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 18, 2013
Liverpool, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, I have been using TFP method for 3 seasons now, and have no complaints! But, I have a question. This year my pool seems to be a little less clear than previous years. The water is clear, but in the deep end (6'), it seems a little cloudy, seems to lack the "sparkle". Its a white fiberglass pool, so there is really nothing to see down there. The color of the water is often dependent on the sky/clouds/sun etc, as it seems to vary based on those conditions, but its clear. My neighbor, who is surely "pool stored" has a vinyl pool. His water is crystal clear and he says he pours granular Baquacil in the skimmer when it gets cloudy(at the pool store suggestion). He only uses 3" tabs for chlorination, and strips for testing. I know nothing about Baquacil...yet he swears it clears up his pool. Is this possible?
FYI, all my numbers are tested with the Taylor 2006 kit, and are always kept in the suggested range. Also, any suggestions that aid in clearing "slight cloudiness"?
Thanks
Rick

Cloudiness is often a chemistry problem. Post up a full set of test results.

I think you neighbor is having dumb luck ... for now ... read a few of the Baq conversion threads and I would NEVER put any of that garbage in the pool.

You either have poor chemistry or poor circulation. Do you have a main drain? Is there any flow through it? Do you have one of the returns blowing down that way to improve circulation? Are you as lazy about brushing as the rest of us? Is your FC level right at minimum, or do you have a margin of safety?

I don't have a floor drain, wish I did! Circulation is great, cartridge filter is clean. I will adjust one of the returns downward, both are pointed flat out now. That makes sense... As far as the Baqucil, it was definately small round granules. I read about that stuff and some people said it turns your pool green when it comes into contact with chlorine, hence my concern. However, his is anything but green, for now! I only take advice from TFP, so I figured I would ask. Thanks, as always.

OK. Maybe I just saw the name brand Baqucil on the container. Would the Baqucil floc be safe in a chlorine pool ? Just trying to figure out why he hasn't had any issues... Yet. :)

My neighbor left her pool untouched for a week and it didn't turn green. Filter was running, nothing added. I can't figure out how it didn't turn into a swamp. Only thing I can think of is that my kids' trunks smell heavily of chlorine for days after they are up there, she must have a super high CL level. Son said they bottom was a bit slimy, but there isn't any visible algae, yet. My kids still like swimming in our smaller pool better, they know the water is well balanced!
I'm guessing, like you, it's only a matter of time until there are problems.

OK. Maybe I just saw the name brand Baqucil on the container. Would the Baqucil floc be safe in a chlorine pool ? Just trying to figure out why he hasn't had any issues... Yet. :)

To the best of my knowledge (which is rather slim in this subject) many of the Baquacil line of products are the same as products for chlorine pools. Baquacil Floc is based on Aluminum Sulfate, which is at times used in Floc marketed for chlorine pools. Their Premium Algicide is based on Polyquat 60, just like for chlorine pools. I believe there are others marketed by Baquacil that are implied to be for "Baqua Pools" only, that are the exact same as their chlorine counterparts..........only sold at a MUCH higher price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.