Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My test results

1. Back To Top    #1

My test results

Ok all I have right now are test strips and I know I need a better test kit.

Right now:
    FC is ~3ppm
    TA ~ 180
    CYC ~ 30-50
    pH ~ 7.8

Over the weekend I took a sample to the PS and it was close to these. I am running my nature2 (i know... i know) as a chlorinator only at this point with no mineral vessel added. The PS also told me that the CH was low and that I needed to add 5lbs of the calcium additive. I bought what they recommended and have added about a pound so far. Then I wondered if that even matters in a vinyl pool??
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My test results

Calcium does not matter at all for a vinyl pool, so that was a waste of money ... you can quickly see why we do not trust pool stores

Also, if that CYA is right, then you should stop using trichlor tablets that are raising your CYA even high. BUT, test strips are worthless, so who knows what your actual CYA is.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Calcium does not matter at all for a vinyl pool, so that was a waste of money ... you can quickly see why we do not trust pool stores

Also, if that CYA is right, then you should stop using trichlor tablets that are raising your CYA even high. BUT, test strips are worthless, so who knows what your actual CYA is.
    Yes I do understand. I keep a saltwater reef tank and have the same type of issues with the local fish shops. I just ordered the TF-100 kit, again I know the strips are crude estimates at best. I don't use those to test my tanks either.
    24'x54" AGP 13,500g AquaLeader Sentinelle | Hayward Voyager CC150 sqft cartridge filter | Hayward 2hp 2spd pump | Hayward Aquaray Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

You will be in much better shape to take control when you get the right tool for the job

I would add about a 1/3-1/2 bottle of bleach each evening until you get the test kit just to keep anything from going south.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You will be in much better shape to take control when you get the right tool for the job

I would add about a 1/3-1/2 bottle of bleach each evening until you get the test kit just to keep anything from going south.
    Thanks for the info. My test kit should be here Friday and I will post the new results. In the meantime the only thing I am getting from the PS is a roller for my solar cover LOL.