Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Homemade liquid chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Homemade liquid chlorinator

I am thinking about putting together a homemade chlorinator using a vented 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid for easy refill. It will use gravity to supply 12.5% bleach to the side of the skimmer. I am also planning on installing a 12v solenoid that will open and close flow (inline to the skimmer); possibly even a pinch valve. It can be wired to the pump timer or if need be, another timer all together.

I was planning on using aquarium tubing for the supply line. Maybe even hard line from the solenoid to the skimmer. I would rather hit the discharge but I don't really see an issue hitting the pumps input.

Thoughts .... suggestions?
    28' round Doughboy AGP (23,000 gallons) 7.5' deep end
    Aquaview sand filter
    Hayward 1.5HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Homemade liquid chlorinator

I don't think aquarium tubing will handle straight sodium hypochlorite for a long time.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Gravity feed? This means you'll need a "bleach tower". How close to the pool? How far? If it's outside, it will degrade from the heat...

Sounds like a neat concept... I would use something better than aquarium line that's for sure.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

4. Back To Top    #4

If you plumb the feed lines on the suction side of the pump, it doesn't need to be gravity fed. This is what I did:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...jection-System
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by unixfreak View Post
    I am thinking about putting together a homemade chlorinator using a vented 5 gallon bucket with screw on lid for easy refill. It will use gravity to supply 12.5% bleach to the side of the skimmer. I am also planning on installing a 12v solenoid that will open and close flow (inline to the skimmer); possibly even a pinch valve. It can be wired to the pump timer or if need be, another timer all together.

I was planning on using aquarium tubing for the supply line. Maybe even hard line from the solenoid to the skimmer. I would rather hit the discharge but I don't really see an issue hitting the pumps input.

Thoughts .... suggestions?
    Anything is possible. With an AGP you would have to have to be up on a deck or something. UV type irrigation tube would be your best bet. Also most solenoids are wet valves "the cheaper ones" To stand up to Sodium Hypo you really need a dry solenoid like a plast-o-matic true blue but they run several hundred. Then you can vacuum feed right into the pump. The other problem is your vacuum will change with your pump pressure. My vacuum measured with a clean filter is 67 oz a minute and 28 oz when I need to backwash. A metering valve can solve that.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"