Moss growing on pool edges but appears clean??

Jul 22, 2014
phoenix, az
Hi everyone,

I am not sure how to fix this issue. I seem to have a dark green moss growing in some spots along my pool. Specifically, there is some in the grout along the water line. I did find moss on one if the steps a few months back but I thought I corrected it by upping my chlorine levels for a while. I'm in Phoenix so I have very little experience with moss in an otherwise dry environment. The pool is salt water. The moss spots are very small and I wouldn't have even noticed them if I wasn't right up against the wall looking at them yesterday. I can post more specific water chemistry a little later today but my chlorine, salt, and CYA are in a "good" range, alkalinity and pH are high. Does anyone have experience with this?

I tested the water this afternoon and these are my numbers:
FC 3.5
CC 0
CH approx 365 (some purple "floaties" but liquid blue)
TA 150
CYA 30
pH 8.2

The FC, alkalinity, and pH are a little higher than recommended for my salt system. CYA is on the low side but still within recommended levels.

Welcome to TFP!

How are you getting those test results?
If those results can be believed, then you will need to lower your pH immediately. pH8.2 is the maximum reading and anything higher reports as 8.2, your pH may be much higher.
We also recommend a higher CYA level for a salt water pool. See water balance for SWG.
The alkalinity would come down over time as you add acid to lower your pH. See ABCs of pool water chemistry.

Could you please post a picture of what you are seeing?

Please add details about your pool to your signature as indicated in this post.

I would recommend you read Pool School.

Welcome! :wave:

What she said about pH and CYA and FC levels.

It's not moss you're seeing - it's algae. I've seen it along the grout line inside my skimmer opening once, and I never would have seen it had I not surfaced right there. It's generally above the water line, where it gets wet from waves, but it doesn't stay immersed in chlorinated water. I fixed mine by attacking it with a plastic household scrub brush. Then i raised the water level and added a couple extra PPM of bleach. It hasn't come back - and I check for it regularly now.

Hi everyone, thank you for the responses! I am using the tf-100 to get my numbers. I've been a "lurker" for a while, reading pool school and what not. :) I can post a picture tomorrow but I think Richard must be right. Blech. Should I SLAM once the water level is up? I am having trouble figuring out what my chlorine level should be during SLAM on a salt water pool. As far as CYA, my SWG recommends 30-60. Should I be okay going to 70 if my systems recommends a lower number? I'm afraid of over doing it :)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.