Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt for non-SWG pool - What to buy?

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt for non-SWG pool - What to buy?

Hi. I'm looking to add salt to my non-SWG pool, but I'm just not sure what to buy.

Is there a specific type of salt product I should be buying for this? I've never owned a water softener at home, but I've seen that there are several types of salt products used for them.

Which type of product should I be using? Should I go to the pool store to buy it, or can I just pick this up at Home Depot / Walmart?

I haven't tested yet for existing salt content in my water, but I own the Taylor Salt Water Test Kit, and will be ready to buy and add salt this weekend. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    26k Gal. 18' x 38' Gunite/White Plaster Roman style in-ground pool, straight Clorox bleach sanitizer, DE filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor Salt Test Kit, Borate Drop test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt for non-SWG pool - What to buy?

Any solar salt, usually in a white or blue bag, is pure enough and has no additives. The granules are just a little bigger than the "pool" salt so it dissolves in 5 minutes instead of 1 and is a good bit cheaper
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great. Thanks jblizzle!
    26k Gal. 18' x 38' Gunite/White Plaster Roman style in-ground pool, straight Clorox bleach sanitizer, DE filter, TF-100 Test Kit, Taylor Salt Test Kit, Borate Drop test

4. Back To Top    #4

BTW, search the forum for "diamond day" if you have kids.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Aww, too bad. My kids missed out. I dumped in the salt when no one was home. Definitely next year, if I need to add.

That answers my next question of how long to wait to swim after adding 280 lbs of salt to 25k gals of water.

6. Back To Top    #6

I would say you don't need to wait, the salt concentration is only a fraction of ocean water which is ok to swim in
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

I was pouring salt onto the kids at a birthday party ... Some of the parents were puzzled
    Jason, TFP Moderator