Replace filter cartridges or switch to DE or Sand filter system? Advice?

Jul 23, 2014
Philadelphia. PA
I'm a new pool owner - bought the house last fall and most of the equipment is pretty old. This summer has been a learning process with water balancing and equipment maintenance, greatly aided by this forum. My filter cartridges need replacing. I have to clean them every week or two to keep things flowing and it's a hard job physically for me. Given the cost of new cartridges and how difficult it is to clean them, I am considering switching to a DE filter or sand filter instead of buying new cartridges. I have a huge mature Honey Locust tree that overhangs the pool and a forest against my property line so my pool gets very dirty with leaves and pollen. What are the benefits and disadvantages of the different types of filter systems you have experienced. I would especially appreciate any feedback form others who also deal with lots of tree debris. My priorities are keeping the water sparkling clean, ease of filter cleaning and frequency of filter cleaning. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

I think in a situation with a high debris load in the pool, a sand filter is the best choice. Cleaning it consists of turning the pump off and on a couple of times and moving the valve a couple of times. No need to put down your drink!

With a 50,000 gallon pool and a 2HP pump, you will need a big filter whichever style you choose, so don't undersize it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.