Numbers and a question about recommended levels

OK, first post with numbers on the new pool. And a big thank you for the education over the past year! Everything y'all said would happen, happened...and I was prepared for it!

The pool has been up and running since Friday night. Some basics about my fill water...

TA= 160
CH= 90
I've not tested for metals, but doubt I have any in the municipal water supply. No fouling of my house plumbing at all.

I started hitting the pool with Muriatic acid as soon as the filter/pump were running and got the pH in line down to about 7.4 by the next morning. It was above 8.2 at the very beginning. I started the deck jets and waterfalls to get some aeration happening to lower the TA and added a little chlorine via bleach and some Trichlor tabs the next day (1-2 ppm). The pool was crystal clear initially until I started brushing the plaster. It took a couple days to clear up, but now it's nice & clear again. I did add some DE powder to the cartridge filter. So far I've added 8 lbs of CYA and I have a Trichlor floater in the pool until I can get the SWCG activated in a month.

My numbers as of this morning are:

FC= 3
CC= 0
pH= 7.8 (added 43 oz MA to bring down to 7.4)
TA= 105
CH= 280
CYA= 30-35 (still getting used to this test)
Water temp hovering at 86-90 degrees

Any thoughts on these numbers would be appreciated.

I have to go back offshore for a couple weeks next monday. I have a very good friend that will be pool sitting for me 2-3 times/week. I plan on leaving the CYA where it is for now and continuing with the Trichlor floater and a little supplemental bleach until I get home next time and can activate the SWCG. I will get the AutoPilot Total Control activated today or tomorrow(hopefully) to start controlling the pH.

I have a couple questions regarding TA, CH and CYA. I've reduced my TA to 100-110 by lowering pH and aerating. Should I continue lowering this below 100 or leave it alone for now? I'll be using Trichlor/bleach for the month.

Regarding CH, since CH is similiar to CYA in that it does not dissipate, should I leave it at 280 for now and gradually creep up over time as I have to fill?

Regarding CYA, same issue here. Since I'll be using Trichlor for a month, should I leave it a little low (30-35) for now and let it creep up for the month until the SWCG is activated?

Thoughts? and thanks again for all the education up to this point...

Jim

During the first three to four weeks after fresh plaster the PH will climb rapidly and TA and CH levels will also rise. These increases will continue much more slowly for up to a year.

The most important thing is to keep the PH in line, always below 8.0 and below 7.8 if practical. The Total Control PH regulation may not be able to keep up with the PH rise during the first three or four weeks. Once you get past that initial rise everything should be fine.

Everything else can be left alone for now. You could lower TA just a little more or raise CYA just a little, but there really isn't any point to bothering with either one till you are about to startup the SWG. CYA will come up a little from the trichlor. Easier to let that happen and then have a better idea how much more you need to raise it later.

Thanks,

I'll continue working the TA down to 90 or so. I'll leave the CH and CYA alone for now.

I'll let y'all know how the Total Control pH function works over the next few days. I'm hoping to minimize the amount of acid that my volunteer pool crew has to handle. I've been going through about 1/2 gallon per day this first week. I may mix the first batch of acid solution in the Stenner pump a little stronger than 1/4 strength.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.