Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris 280 issue....

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris 280 issue....

Hey folks. My Polaris is about a year old and recently started just cruising around on its front wheel. Even if I swim down and try and put it on all the wheels it just lifts up in the back and sits on front wheel. I have taken that bubble off and it does not sound like any water in it. Does anybody have any other ideas on what I could try to make it drive on all wheels again. Thank you!
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris 280 issue....

Check the inner part of the wheels. They should be grooved like a gear. Sometimes they wear out to the extent that the drive gear won't engage with the wheel grooves.
    18,500 gallon in-ground gunite pool with attached spa. Tahoe blue pebble plaster. Oklahoma flagstone coping. 600 s.f. stamped concrete decking. Hayward equipment: 2 h.p. Super II pump, 48 s.f. DE filter, 400k BTU heater. Polaris 280 cleaner with PB4 booster pump. Zodiac/Jandy iAqualink. Stenner 45MHP10 peristaltic pump with 15 gallon tank. Originally built in 1997. Renovated in 2013.

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure the water jet in the back isn't pushed fully up- that'll make it wheelie too.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys. The wheels seem to be moving in sync and the thing does a reverse wheelie even when the pump is turned off. Would the water jet affect this when off as well?
    18k: IG: Black Granite Liner: Aspen: 16x33.5: SWG: Polaris 280

My pool build new-pool-build-in-nh-t60957.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Take it out of the pool, take the bag off and make sure the water shoots up (into the bag, if it were on) evenly.
    If it is doing a reverse wheelie with the pump off, do you mean the booster pump, the main pump or both? If both, then no water is being pumped through and the wheelie is unrelated to the Jets. You can replace that bubble on the back for $6.
    New at pools. 23k Gallon pool - 36x17 ft grecian, vinyl. Pentair TA60 sand filter with new valve. Hayward superpump. Booster pump for Polaris 280C.

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmm. If I remember right I have the rear jet in about a 1:00 position. You can try different positions to see if that helps while the booster pump is running.

I'm not sure if it would cause this issue, but how are the floats on the feed hose arranged? You can try screwing the rear float inward to see if that helps.

Make sure that you are getting good flow through the jets in the middle chamber.

Also there is a screen cup in the fitting where it is attached to the wall of the pool. Make sure it is clean.

Another possibility could be that the backup valve is not cycling properly, preventing full water flow through the cleaner.

Hope this helps.
    18,500 gallon in-ground gunite pool with attached spa. Tahoe blue pebble plaster. Oklahoma flagstone coping. 600 s.f. stamped concrete decking. Hayward equipment: 2 h.p. Super II pump, 48 s.f. DE filter, 400k BTU heater. Polaris 280 cleaner with PB4 booster pump. Zodiac/Jandy iAqualink. Stenner 45MHP10 peristaltic pump with 15 gallon tank. Originally built in 1997. Renovated in 2013.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the help. Looks as though it was the bubble all along. I replaced that and it's now working well. Thanks again.