No CC while SLAMming?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
both times now that I have performed the SLAM process, I have gotten 0 ppm CC when I test. I can smell it. Even on my hand and arm after taking a sample. Its pretty strong. So how is it that it tests at 0 ppm during a SLAM. If ever was CC to be present, im thinking it would be during SLAM. If im burning up FC SLAMming, then there HAS to be CC... right?

I've never measured CC in my pool. I would think you wouldn't see CC while slamming properly because you always have a surplus of available chlorine, but you might if you let the FC drop to zero between additions.

I've never measured CC in my pool. I would think you wouldn't see CC while slamming properly because you always have a surplus of available chlorine, but you might if you let the FC drop to zero between additions.

Really? I've always been able to smell CC during a slam. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, that smell is indicative of CC's and CC's mean organics in the water? Yesterday I smelled my pool when I walked up to it for my daily test, and I realized there was a snail in the bottom of the pool. I would guess the CC smell was the chlorine oxidizing the snail... :puker:

It could be the extra chlorine oxidizing the dirt on your hands when you dip them in water. If you have shock level chlorine in water, almost nothing will live in there and most bonds between chlorine and ammonia are broken. That is another reason why I wonder why anybody would use ozone, baquicul, peroxide or whatever and risk dirty water. Maybe this is a chlorine forum to some, but to me it's the answer to a crystal clear pool.

It could be the extra chlorine oxidizing the dirt on your hands when you dip them in water. If you have shock level chlorine in water, almost nothing will live in there and most bonds between chlorine and ammonia are broken. That is another reason why I wonder why anybody would use ozone, baquicul, peroxide or whatever and risk dirty water. Maybe this is a chlorine forum to some, but to me it's the answer to a crystal clear pool.

I think you're onto it. I believe it actually tries to oxidize the dead skin on your hands and arms, which leads to the smell on your skin.

interesting. but I can smell the pool too, even 10 ft away during SLAM. Im with Waldog, I thought CC was the byproduct of chlorine combining with whatever organics is in the pool and breaking it down. So it should be present....unless..... the FC being at shock level is so potent it also zapping away all the CC? Maybe what I smell is just the CC gassing off? Maybe its there but such a minute amount due to high FC level that it wont show on the R-0003 test?

Chem-Geek is the authority on this, but *IF* I understand his explanation... CC is the byproduct of chlorine breaking down organics... snails, pee, leaves, bathers skin cells, whatever is in the pool. A good question is does it actually try to oxidize human skin. I would suppose it does, because the snail.... he didn't look too hot... LOL :D :puker:

If the smell is a clean bleach-like smell then that's more likely to be chlorine itself, especially during a SLAM. If it smells like bad pool smell then that's more likely to be CC, especially if you measure CC. You do not always measure CC when oxidizing things because it depends on what you are oxidizing and its quantity. Some chemicals oxidize too quickly to have measurable CC while others are much slower so have a CC intermediate that is measurable. We consider measurable CC to be a problem to be dealt with, but absence of CC does not mean absence of problems. That's why we also have the overnight chlorine loss test and the visible appearance (clarity) of the water.

What is CC and how do you measure it? I am missing something here.

Combined Chlorine. Its presence indicates some kind of contamination in the pool that hasn't been completely oxidized by the chlorine. You measure it with the FAS-DPD kit that we recommend here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.