Ph Preference

I have a TA of 110 so I try to keep my pH between 7.2-7.5, It is slowly bringing my TA down as it was 140.
I have also had that feeling that the water looks crisper somehow with a lower pH. I cant put my finger on it and I know I have to add MA every other day or so. but the mornings after the MA treatments the water does "appear" to look different.

I'm at about 80ppm TA so to keep adding the acid to get the 7.2ph I'm going to start to have to increase the TA with baking soda once it gets below 70ppm. Not a big deal to keep the crsip edge I guess.

I try to keep mine around 7.4 to 7.6. Mostly 7.4. My water doesnt look dull. I look at the photos of borax pools and dont see any difference in mine and theirs. But pictures dont always get the full picture. I do notice the water looks better at different times of the day. I suppose its the way the sun shines on it.

PH doesn't normally have any impact on how clear the water is unless it is way out of range. The only exceptions I can think of include very high CH levels or pools without any CYA at all, both of which can be more sensitive to PH than usual.

The last month I did bring the CYA up from 30 to 43 where I'm set at for the rest of the summer. I think the extra CYA actually has an effect on the clarity and sparkle a tad bit also. Just my observations.

PS: Jason I tried adding that I have a TF-100 test kit to my signature a few times and saved and it will not show up.

- - - Updated - - -

With a new Pebble Sheen plaster finish two months ago I went from 130CH to 300CH which I tested today so maybe that's what I'm seeing? It really looks better after I add the acid..I must have good eye balls :)

You might want to try adding the kit on a different line of info. I remember having a similar problem when trying to edit mine. See if it "fits" after the filter info.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed after I added boric acid my water seemed to be smooth as glass and has more luster. I keep my PH up around 7.8 as it seems to affect my CSI numbers more than any other chemical. My CSI is -0.16 at the moment with TA hovering around 80 and CYA at 70-CH is 300 and I'm thinking about increasing CH to 325. I now only have to add MA once a week and it's usually only 20 ounces or so to keep it from getting too high. When I do lower it, I only lower it to around 7.6-7.7. My pool has never looked better!

My PH likes to hang out in the 7.6-7.7 range with a TA of 80. If I lower it to 7.4 or so it just drifts back to the 7.6-7.7 range so I leave it there. Pool looks great and no burning of the eyes so I'm good with it.

I assume this is because of your very low pH fill water from your well?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
I have 2 theories about my pH. The first is, like you said, the acid well water plus acid rain. The other thing I can think of is that I keep my solar cover on most of the day, except for when I'm swimming for a few hours.
When I look at my pool spreadsheet, you can see that without fail, my pH always tends to drift down to at least 7.4.

filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.

Wow. Your well must be tapped into the muriatic acid pipeline. :shock:

Bahaha, right?? :sly::what::D Just about! I think ma is somewhere around 1.5-1.9 pH.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I have 2 theories about my pH. The first is, like you said, the acid well water plus acid rain. The other thing I can think of is that I keep my solar cover on most of the day, except for when I'm swimming for a few hours.
When I look at my pool spreadsheet, you can see that without fail, my pH always tends to drift down to at least 7.4.

It's definitely your well water. Solar cover isn't going to lower pH, but keep it more stable than anything. Although I'm not sure, aside from outgassing as the main cause, how much UV light plays a role in causing pH to drift upwardly. I know with my opaque cover on, pH just sits there and doesn't go up. Never had an issue with it going down.

You aren't by chance using pucks are you? Or do you possibly have an autofill from your well water?

No pucks and no autofill. I don't even top up that much. Nonetheless, the records clearly show a downward pH drift. Anyway, I don't want to start hijacking this thread, so back to the original topic again. Yeah, I prefer my pH around 7.8, but I'll accept down to about 7.4.

Maybe there's some guy that sneaks around dumping muriatic acid into my pool at night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.