I was at the pool store today for confirmation on a test I ran with my test kit (seemed to be off) and got into a discussion on the use of liquid chlorine/bleach. I've been following the BBB method now for about six or seven years and overall do well with it. What was pointed out to me was that bleach is a sanitizer and not an oxidizer. I generally can defend and speak knowledgeably about BBB, but I found myself without an intelligent argument. I was told that the bleach cleans the water but leaves bacteria/pathogens that can cause illness in the people that swim in a pool maintained that way. They recommended an oxidizer, I think the powdered (expensive) shock that I used to use was labeled as an oxidizer.
I'm fairly certain that the bleach kills anything and everything in the water regardless of what type of pathogen or bacteria it is.
So does anyone have a defined difference in sanitizer vs. oxidizer?
As always, I thank everyone on this forum for being there.