Vaccuming on recirculate?

Jun 22, 2008
I have a lot of leaves at the bottom of the pool because of a late closing last fall. If I vacuum on recirculate would it be safe for the pool equipment? My main concern is the very fine/dirt and sand possibly getting trapped in the heater or heater/filter (if there is such a thing) or any other equipment. My goal is simply to vacuum the leaves directly to the skimmer. I want to avoid vacuuming to waste because of the amount of water that is wasted and and avoid the filter because of suction issues and constantly having to backwash /refill DE. Many thanks in advance.

If the skimmer basket is in place, that will work. But by the same token, whatever is too small to get trapped in the skimmer will just blow back into the pool and have to be vacuumed out some time in the future. Why not now? The filter is there to catch all that sand and fine stuff, and the heater comes after the filter, if it's been plumbed right. So it won't get clogged.

Another idea, if it's really bad, is a leaf bagger. Check out the image on post 15 in this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75138-Another-swamp-is-it-worth-it-Drain-or-gain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.