Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: air leak in pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

air leak in pump?

Hi, I have an air leak someplace in my inground pool. I am hoping that it is aboveground. I have placed duct tape around most of the PVC fittings and placed heavy plastic around the valves. So far, no luck. I recalled reading on one of these posts that sometimes air leak may occur at the pump. I don't remember the specific details. Can someone enlighten me as to what to look for in the pump? Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: air leak in pump?

Air leaks at the pump are in the basket. The strainer basket lid being loose, the O-ring needing lubed or being bad, or a bad or loose O-ring on the drain plug in the housing can all let air in.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Jamestown, ND

Re: air leak in pump?

I also lubricated the little orings going into my filter basket as I had the same problems and that was it for me. Not a big leak, just a few bubbles but it sure did seal up those areas.

I also took some of the pipe threaded fittings going into my pump that I seen were having a small leak, and used 100% silicone caulk around the threads and then rescrewed those back on and found that it works great!

Hope that maybe helps.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool: