Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mustard algae super-chlorination & solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Question mustard algae super-chlorination & solar cover

The process calls for all the pool toys/tools to be soaked for an hour at mustard algae chlorine levels. How about the solar cover?

In general, the cover should be off the pool during super-chlorination to let the water out-gas, let the UV kill the chloramines, etc. But I want to make sure that the cover is sanitized to the point it poses no risk of cross-contamination. My cover is somewhat water-logged and it definitely has some junk/gunk on it. If I cover the pool for an hour or so, it will kill everything on the bottom of the cover, but I could see how spots on the edges and big portion of the top would not be exposed to the chlorine.

So I'm somewhat conflicted if I want to put the cover on or not. Suggestions?
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: mustard algae super-chlorination & solar cover

The best you can do is put the cover on for one or two hours on each side. If there are obvious places that don't get exposed to the water that way, you can wipe them down with a dilute bleach solution.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: mustard algae super-chlorination & solar cover

my 24 hour mustard treatment ends tomorrow morning. i have enough FC right now to put the cover on and probably still be above the mustard level tomorrow morning. how about i put it on over night, flip it tomorrow morning and then ask my wife to remove it after few hours? i could probably add another 1G of 12.5% (~5ppm) in the morning to be on a safe side...
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar