Switch to SWG...?

fatboy1271

LifeTime Supporter
My Hayward filter says "Approved for Fresh or Salt water" so I am wondering if I should change over? I'm completely new to taking care of my pool: I've only done a Cl and pH test so far as I'm still paying for service until the end of the month.

Any thoughts on a system that will work for my size pool? Is this something an average user can install? I've been a machinist, done construction, and now do IT work so I'm pretty capable with my hands and my brain works ok :hammer:

I've got zero knowledge of what's involved and what equipment is needed outside of the filter that I have...

tumblr_n93ip0Duqj1tfc8vuo1_500.jpg

Nearly all filters are approved for fresh or salt water I think.

We recommend sizing a SWG 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. I would suggest a cell for 40k pool. The Hayward AquaRite with T-15 cell would work well.
The install is pretty straight forward if you have a little electrical and PVC experience.

Why do you want to switch?

BTW, I am not sure you realize that a SWG has nothing to do with the filter. You have to buy an all new piece of equipment.

A SWG frees you from having to manually add chlorine bleach. That's it. You still need to test the water, adjust pH, vacuum, and brush. If you leave town a lot, it could be a big advantage. Given the lifespan of the cells and the cost, it's about a tossup in cost between jugs of bleach and a SWG.

I've stayed with the bleach. Why? Two reasons.
1) I have had zero problems with my plumbing. Why start cutting into it now?
2) I am in a constant battle to lower super high CH. I do it by watering the lawn with pool water. If I had a saltwater pool, I wouldn't be able to do that. The waste water would end up in the sewer. And then I'd have to replenish the salt I lost, too.

As far as I can see, you still haven't posted a full set of test results anywhere. What if your CH is 1500? It would be really easy to have that around here. When -- if -- we get some rain and you can replace water without being branded a criminal, all the salt is gone. Not that big a deal, but still something to consider. And if CH is really high, you can bet your SWG cell will be scaling frequently. So it won't be as troublefree as all the advertising claims make it sound.

You haven't even assumed full control of your pool yet. Why would you want to add another level of learning -- dialing in the SWG -- so soon? Switching a bleach pool to a salt pool is pretty easy. Some plumbing, some salt, turn it on. Maybe add some more CYA. It can be done at any time.

Why the switch: I had thought I read that it was a suggested part of the "TFP way" or that many members liked having the SWG vs fresh. That piqued my interest so I was looking for input on it. Also from the little research I had done at this point I liked that it "frees you from having to manually add chlorine bleach."

I hadn't realized that most filters were capable of both. I did think that there would be a bigger investment than the filter system and that is why I was asking if it was worth the switch.

You are looking at having to spend at least $800 to add a SWG.

I still am not sure you grasp that a SWG has nothing to do with the filter ... of course the filter does not care what kind of water or how high the salt content you have because it is all plastic.

A SWG frees you from having to manually add chlorine bleach. That's it. You still need to test the water, adjust pH, vacuum, and brush. If you leave town a lot, it could be a big advantage. Given the lifespan of the cells and the cost, it's about a tossup in cost between jugs of bleach and a SWG.

I've stayed with the bleach. Why? Two reasons.
1) I have had zero problems with my plumbing. Why start cutting into it now?
2) I am in a constant battle to lower super high CH. I do it by watering the lawn with pool water. If I had a saltwater pool, I wouldn't be able to do that. The waste water would end up in the sewer. And then I'd have to replenish the salt I lost, too.

As far as I can see, you still haven't posted a full set of test results anywhere. What if your CH is 1500? It would be really easy to have that around here. When -- if -- we get some rain and you can replace water without being branded a criminal, all the salt is gone. Not that big a deal, but still something to consider. And if CH is really high, you can bet your SWG cell will be scaling frequently. So it won't be as troublefree as all the advertising claims make it sound.

You haven't even assumed full control of your pool yet. Why would you want to add another level of learning -- dialing in the SWG -- so soon? Switching a bleach pool to a salt pool is pretty easy. Some plumbing, some salt, turn it on. Maybe add some more CYA. It can be done at any time.

Thanks Robert! I'm trying to ask as many questions as I think are relevant before I assume full control. I thought if this was a project to take on I would have a couple weeks to prepare. I agree about the extra level of learning by adding the SWG might be much; I am already a little overwhelmed by the initial process that's involved.

I am starting my first full test after posting this. I will put the numbers back on the other thread that you originally had replied to me on: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/82170-When-to-start-take-over-and-do-I-switch-to-SWG

Installing a SWG sounds like something you can probably handle.

As others have advised, run your pool for a while on your own with bleach, then decide if you want to spend the money to have a SWG automate the chlorination. You will be in a much better position to make an informed decision.

Also, based on what you have said, personally, I'd let the pool guy finish up his contract.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.