First time user so be gentle!

Jul 26, 2013
Lexington SC
We are having trouble getting our pool water crystal clear. It just appears to be somewhat milky/cloudy. After testing here are the numbers we came up with:

CYA - 40
FC - 5.6
CC - 0 (water did not turn pink at all)
PH - 7.4
TA - 70

What is the next step because these numbers all look okay to me?

Thanks in advance!

18000 gallon - in ground vinyl lined pool (bleach method)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile and pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

What test kit are you using?
Have you read ABCs of Water Chemistry so we are talking the same language?

With cloudy water, you likely need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Mod edit: I deleted your other thread. Please do not duplicate posts. Thanks, jblizzle

So sorry for the duplicated post. Storming here in SC and the power went out so I wasn't sure if I sent it or not. I have added the details you requested in my signature and have read the information too! We are heading toward shocking the pool so I will let you know how it turns out!

So sorry for the duplicated post. Storming here in SC and the power went out so I wasn't sure if I sent it or not. I have added the details you requested in my signature and have read the information too! We are heading toward shocking the pool so I will let you know how it turns out!

Hey there!

What is the CH #?

What do you mean "heading towards shocking"? I hope you mean starting the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. :D
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl

Welcome to TFP :wave:

Please re-read the SLAM process I posted above. It is not likely the same as what you think "shocking the pool" is.

BTW, you should use 10ml of water for the FAS-DPD chlorine test so each drop is 0.5ppm ... this will save a lot of reagent. But, with a SLAM coming up, you may want to order refills for the FAS-DPD test as you are likely to run out. Check out the refills at tftestkits.net, plus Dave (owner of this forum) ships out of NC, so you would get them quickly.

Welcome! :wave:

You'll be fine. You have a good test kit and the water isn't green and the CYA level isn't astronomical. I predict a speedy resolution. Don't forget to brush until your shoulders ache, and hit all those secret hiding places like lights and ladders and steps. If you started with the bleach today, it'll have all night to work unmolested by the sun, and then hit it tomorrow morning on your way out, it'll probably look much improved after work tomorrow. But don;t take the fact that it looks good alone be the end of it. Make sure you pass all three tests simultaneously.

It'll be sparkling by the weekend.

I'm one board with everyone responding. I think your issue may be one more of filtration rather than killing algae. How often do you backwash and what trigger do you use to start that process? Are you using the rinse cycle?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.